Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 237 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    DS15 finished all the neuropsyc testing over the past two weeks. Took longer than I'd hoped..two full sessions (4-5 hrs each) and a little bit of homework (a few forms that the pscy didn't need to oversee for him & us) that I got mailed back today. But I won't get results until the end of the month because of vacation schedules, it's mostly because the pscy had a vacation planned, and then we will be gone a week and my son for 3. It would be better for the results meeting to include him, but it probably won't. I thought it wouldn't be a problem I just want the results in time to see if a plan can be put in place for fall, but now I'm very curious and getting anxious. To add complexity the pscy & the educational therapist that is working with him, will want to do their OWN interpretation of the data. And eventually the high school. Hopefully we will get similar feedback, or I don't know what I'm going to do.

I think he mostly found the testing interesting. He had one test that he said was really easy math, until it wasn't. Really easy algebra II questions and then you turn the page and there are these weird squiggles, and arrows. Hmm.. so I guess my kid who has just finished Algebra II hasn't seen any Calculus yet.

The writing class I singed DS up for didn't end up working. They were working on a personal essay, like you would for a college essay and He wasn't writing anything and getting stressed out. It didn't help he missed a few classes for the testing. We worked out an agreement that he didn't have to finish the class (only another week) but instead he had to WRITE a page everyday. Basically a journal, I don't have to read it, I just have to see that it is done. He is also working on online drivers ed, and spend this weekend in a driving skills class.

This wasn't really a question, more of an update. And a chance to vent about my anxiety, I'm not even sure what I'm anxious about. That the tests will reveal he isn't really gifted? That it won't show anything other than anxiety? That it will show something I'm not prepared to hear.

Last edited by bluemagic; 07/14/14 07:58 PM.
    M
    M
    I'm new... to the board and this whole giftedness thing...

But just want to send hugs and say I hope the waiting goes quickly!

I felt the same way waiting for our son's test results - we had a feedback session straight after the test, but had to wait for the report. Even so, waiting while he was being tested and wondering which direction to think in (bright? gifted? learning disorder? a mix?) was really hard!

Good luck with everything.

“...million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”
    -Terry Pratchett
    I hope your wait goes by quickly for you. I had such doubt when we tested DS. I wasn't surprised when he tested PG because all the signs were there. I only regretted not testing him younger. During the wait, I kept thinking what if I'm one of those crazy parents and he is just average despite all the evidence to the contrary. When DD was tested, I knew she would test gifted just not expecting her to be so close to her brothers score. She seems to "normal" compared to his intensities.

I just felt like I was opening a Pandora's Box testing my kids. I'm glad I did in the end. It gave me a strong confidence in advocating for them and in understanding their individual strengths/weaknesses.

Good luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM