Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #196387 07/13/14 09:39 AM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    My 7 yo son was just tested and determined to have Irlen. He was somewhat uncooperative in the testing so the tester couldn't narrow down his perfect lens color, but she did recommend going with the basic color that seemed to help him and tweak the color later. DS is still saying he doesn't need them and he can read find without them :| What do i do if he wont wear them? do i even pay $5oo for glasses he may not wear? He has ADD like symptoms in school, and low(ish) academic performance despite being obviously wicked smart and having very high CoGat scores. I was so hopeful that this was going to be an easy fix and we would have a much better 2nd grade year than we had last year! I think we will just hope that bribery works for wearing the glasses and then he will see that it really does help! anyone else have this experience? or have a child with ADD like symptoms that were helped with the lenses? I need some success stories! wink

Z
    Z
    I've seen quite a few articles saying that at best colored lens might offer a novelty or placebo effect. Basically there isn't valid research supporting use of them to address reading difficulties.

C
    C
    I definitely wouldn't be paying a lot of money given the current research state, even if my child were on board:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/scotopic_sensitivity_syndrome

Does your son think there is a problem? What does he think is going on? (How) have you ruled out ADD, since you say he has ADD-like symptoms, and under-challenge, given the high scores?

If you really want to try the colour thing, I'd buy cheap coloured overlays and let him experiment with them.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    B
    B
    One of the kids I tutored for reading really seemed to benefit from colored overlays. I was timing him (words read aloud per minute), and had been timing him everyday all along. When I put on the overlay, his reading speed went up pretty dramatically. I don't know if he had "Irlen Syndrome" but he said that without the overlay,the words looked like they were superimposed on each other and the overlay made them clearer. I think he had some strabismus/double vision. Probably what he really needed was an eye exam and maybe there would have been something else that could have helped, like surgery or prism glasses. He refused to use the overlays in class, I don't think he wanted to stand out and look "different" (he also had some major behavioral issues). I tried the overlays on many of the other kids I worked with (most had tracking issues or reading problems suggestive of mild dyslexia),and most said the overlays made the print easier to see, but their reading speed didn't actually improve. Hope this helps.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Our psych. tested him for ADD with a variety of methods one being a computer test. He determined that DS does not have an attention deficit. Which I was pretty sure he didn't. The dr. Then sent us for the irlen evaluation. My intuition tells me that he just isn't interested in what's going on in the classroom, he's a kinesthetic learner. He hates to read and hates to write even more! A 10 minute homework assignment takes about 45 minutes. I am dreading school starting again!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM