Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 51 of 102 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 101 102
    they request we go on a virtual trip around the world this summer - complete with learning about 4/5 different countries, languages and cultures as well as making clothing and food from each.
    In addition to the requests to learn Japanese (not one of the countries that was picked to "visit"), do science experiments and learn more math.

I thought I got summer vacation from teaching crazy

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    they request we go on a virtual trip around the world this summer - complete with learning about 4/5 different countries, languages and cultures as well as making clothing and food from each.
    In addition to the requests to learn Japanese (not one of the countries that was picked to "visit"), do science experiments and learn more math.

Kerry, that sounds like a blast!

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    Don't you wish, summer's when they ramp up for learning. The teachers stop giving homework (which in our case was the busy-work type anyway) and the kids realize that they now have the time to learn whatever they've been craving to learn or delve deeper into.

C
    C
    When doctors, teachers, therapist, and other helpful people are shocked that you were right about your kid being gifted and yet still needing help in other ways. Gee it's amazing that parents might actually know something about their own kids. (Sorry feeling very sarcastic and aggravated today.)

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    H
    H
    When your 5yo read your mind.

In multiple occasions, DS knew what I was going to saying without me saying a single word.

M
    M
    When your DD4 finishes reading all the books you picked up to check out while you browse library's tiny CD collation. (She did ask what "treacherous thievery" meant so I think she was actually reading).

When your DD4's piano teacher apologetically tells you that she needs to order new books since they are almost done with the first book after 3 sessions.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    When this conversation happens with your DS2.8 right before sleep (it's always right before sleep, it seems...)

Me: DS, please don't jump on me without warning.
    DS: Okay Mama, I will let you know next time before I leap on you.

1 or 2 minutes later

DS: (Musing over our exchange.) Mama, I listen to you and do what you say. When you say "yes", I listen.
    Me: What about when I say "no"?
    DS: I listen when you say yes and don't listen when you say no. (DS nods sagely at his declaration.)
    Me: I love you very much and only say no for your benefit, usually for safety reasons. You have to trust that when I say no, there is a good reason. You can always ask for my reasons, and I will hear counter-arguments. But, when I say the discussion is over, you have to accept my decision.
    DS (magnanimously): Okay Mama, that seems fair. I'll listen to you when you say yes and no. (DS beams a 500 watt smile that would melt the iciest of hearts.)

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    DS (magnanimously): Okay Mama, that seems fair. I'll listen to you when you say yes and no. (DS beams a 500 watt smile that would melt the iciest of hearts.)

I hope your DS is better at keeping his promises than my DD. Every time she gets called on breaking a promise, I get this reply:

"Oh, don't worry Mommy. I have one thousand promises."

(>.<)

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Mana
    Originally Posted by aquinas

I hope your DS is better at keeping his promises than my DD. Every time she gets called on breaking a promise, I get this reply:

"Oh, don't worry Mommy. I have one thousand promises."

(>.<)

At this age, I'm not too concerned about him remembering and abiding by his statement. He's going to inevitably forget or renege and have to be reminded again. What I'm going for is agreement in the moment and cementing the feeling that our process is fair so that he tries to meet the guideline next time. If we can build some executive function skills and practice perspective taking, that's gravy. smile

LAF Offline
    Okay, I get to post here now, I have one.

My DS9's favorite color for the last few years is lapis lazuli....

Page 51 of 102 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM