Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    You have gotten some great responses! Frame it as "working to potential" and leave it at that.

DD11 is a A/B student that reads at 12+grade despite dyslexia. She is working with a private OG/Lindamood tutor because the child cannot spell to save her life. She has no phonemic awareness. And, she really doesn't read as a typical child does. She is a whole word reader with a photographic memory. Give her an unfamiliar word and she guesses. We have not experienced any negative responses from her school about the extra tutoring (that we pay for!). We want her to lessen her frustration and allow her to shine like we know she can. Her dysgraphia and ADHD all have accomodations, too. This is her dyslexia accommodation IMHO.

DS5 is hitting every requirement for grade primary. But, we have him seeing an OT for suspected dysgraphia and an SLP. He will start with the same OG/Lindamood tutor next year. We aren't even waiting for the diagnosis that we know he will get. I don't give a flying hairy care for what anyone thinks about how we support our kids at home. I am so disappointed in the lack of school support that I figure they have lost their right to an opinion when it comes to my kids. If they are going to leave me to figure it out on my own, than they can sit down and shut up about what we choose to do!!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    DS is finishing up his eighty hours at Lindamood Bell this week. He has completely surpassed the goals set the first week of instruction.

For example, the first week the director said they hoped he'd get through four hundred sight words and that would be a great place to be for a starting first grader. That was quickly amended to 800 then 1000.

He seems to be jumping a grade level each week. He said today he read a fifth grade book there and "rocked it"

His spelling has improved too. He is posting signs all over the place in Minecraft.
    I can just pick random words and he can spell them correctly.

He is reading for pleasure all the time now. In the last week, he's gone through the Frog and Toad collection, Curious George collection and tons of non-fiction.

He met up with some friends at the library and read them some ghost stories. It was so cute to see the kids on the couch in the kids' section huddled together sharing books.

While at the library he read an advertisement for a Minecraft group for older kids. He inquired about the age limit, advocated for an exception and was denied. The awesome part was that he didn't freak out!

He also read about the summer reading program and signed himself up for that. The conversation between him and the librarian was hilarious. She said he had to read fifteen minutes each day. He said, "Fifteen minutes! I do twenty minutes of Toe by Toe at school, then I read books with my teacher, then I go to Lindamood Bell and read for four hours! And I am still not done for the day because then I read before bed!"

I have put some more challenging material on hold at the library that I think he'll like. We have a roadtrip coming up and car reading doesn't seem to bother him.

I am really proud of his hard work and progress and it is so nice to see him enjoying reading so much.

"Kate's Mum" - this should be framed!

I don't give a flying hairy care for what anyone thinks about how we support our kids at home. I am so disappointed in the lack of school support that I figure they have lost their right to an opinion when it comes to my kids. If they are going to leave me to figure it out on my own, than they can sit down and shut up about what we choose to do!!

Become what you are
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM