Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    YEs what Kriston said! I read in a book written by a PS teacher that HSing should take about 2-3hrs/day in the elementary years. 1on1 instruction is much more effective and you don't lose time in all the transitions.

My DH is more of the "do you homework as soon as you get home." I"m that way as well but I was willing to try to let DS regulate his own time. That worked better but did take some reminders. I think the goal is to make them take ownership of their learning, be more independent...sounds like you're more than half way there!!!! That's a plus in the "Vote for HSing" category if you ask me, rather than a negative.

Gatorgirl-

Are you married to MY husband seven years ago? LOL, he was concerned about the S factor, and he was also worried that I am disorganized, undisciplined, and have a tendency to jump from thing to thing. I have actually realized in the last few years (since two of my kids were diagnosed) that I probably have undiagnosed ADD. It explains so much about me.

Nevertheless, my kids are thriving and I'm still thrilled to be homeschooling them. We tried four different traditional schools for my oldest, and none of them worked as well as home based education.

The key is to be flexible. Child led is working great for me. As the kids get older, they have more work assigned to them, but they are still permitted a great deal of choice in exactly what and how they learn. For you, it might be that when is a choice too. I find that my kids do their best academic work in the mornings, so that's our school time and afternoons are largely free for socializing and extracurriculars.

Encourage your kids to become experts in whatever excites them, while shoring up those areas that might potentially be weaknesses. Balance- life's all about balance!

My kids are 19, 11, 8, and 3. They are very different from one another, but all PG and we've adapted homeschooling for each as they've grown. I think my oldest was a more interesting college applicant for his homeschooling transcript, and he wouldn't have been able to acquire 50 college credits in high school if he attended traditional high school.

Here's a short piece on homeschooling gifted kids:
    http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art27311.asp

hth!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students