Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    It looks like hs may be what she needs. Like somebody else said one year grade skip won't solve the problem and at this point she gets mostly one on one with a teacher plus an extra boring work anyway.

Join TAGMAX mailing list. Curriculum is often discussed there. Check the homeschool buyers co-op. Look at EPGY if you can afford it. Some of the curricula have a free placement tests. It may be worth trying them even if you don't care for the curriculum itself (k12, Singapore Math, Saxon Math. You may also let your daughter choose what she wants to learn.

You cannot really do worse than school. I think that was Kriston's motto the first year. If you look at it that way you have nothing to worry about smile

For the record we plan on homeschooling DS5 next year.

LMom
    Just don't use a boiler plate curriculum IMHO. Ala carte is the way to go when picking and choosing.
    If you are going to go to effort of individualizing curriculum for her...you might as well specialize it........
    There are limitless possibilities....just start looking.

I think ALEKS math and Singapore math are solid choices for math so you can avoid gaps that sometimes occur when you are "following your child around" in the pursuit of education.

Many people like EPGY distance courses. We're neutral, have never pursued them because of cost.

L
    L
    My son and I used online resources more than anything else, but I did buy the What Your __ Grader Needs to Know books to use as a guide.

For spelling, we used the Rebecca Sitton High Frequency Word List that we found online and we went over the basic spelling rules, also found online.

For vocabulary, he liked SAT Vocabulary Cartoons and when he finished those, he made up his own mnemonics to remember definitions and he also got in the habit of looking up any word that he didn't know the exact meaning of. He has used Grammar with a Giggle books and different online sources for grammar like Power Proofreading and Every Day Edits.

He used Aleks for math.

For reading, I let him read whatever he wants. He sometimes takes the quiz on sparknotes.com after we read a classic book.

He liked the Story of the World books and history encyclopedias and reading historical fiction to go along with whatever history he was studying. He watches a lot of History channel. He plays computer games like Age of Empires and Empire Earth.

For geography, we just use National Geographic magazine, an atlas, a globe, and map puzzles and online geography games.

He looks up a lot of things on Wikipedia. Sometimes he likes to click on "random article" to read just for fun.

He watches shows on the science channel. He is reading a college level science history book. He watches science videos on cosmeo.com.

He is interested in the news so he reads the news online.

He watches trivia game shows and when he doesn't know the answer to something, he looks it up online.

Originally Posted by Gatorgirl
    The more I research, the more I feel that HS would be the best for her. I just have to convince my DH and that can be hard. Then there is the issue of cirriculum. I really don't even know where to start choosing one. Any help would be appreciated. I would love to know what some of you have used, your likes or dislikes about it, etc.
    Thanks for listening.
    ~Gatorgirl

Honestly, curriculum is the easy part of homeschooling a GT child. They learn so fast and so happily that it's a lot easier than you think it will be. I promise!

Before you do anything else, check out the HSing laws in your state. Make sure you know what is required of you and by what deadline. Some states just require a letter to the superintendent informing them of your plans, while others require lots of hoops, perhaps even registering as a provate school. If you're even considering HSing, look into it.

Second, do some research and decide what kind of home schooling you want to practice. This is a practical matter to help you choose from the astonishing amount of material that's out there. There are LOTS of types of home schooling! Personally, I'm going with the "eclectic" approach because it pretty much means we can do whatever DS6 and I want to do in whatever form works best. But you may want to use a more structured aproach. Differnt strokes for different folks, but reading up can help you to consider what will best suit you and your DD so that you don't spin your wheels in something too structured or not structured enough for your needs.

Also, I would start considering personality issues--both hers and yours. Is your daughter going to be happier to be alone much of the day, working independently, or is she an extrovert who will need lots of social time? Either is totally do-able for HSing, but it helps to know which you're working with. And don't neglect your own needs. I am an introvert who needs time alone, and the biggest challenge we faced when starting HSing was my not getting enough time to myself. Ultimately, I needed childcare help so I didn't lose my mind. Be sure you take care of yourself, not just your child. Think of the airplane warning: put the oxygen mask on yourself before you help others! If HSing doesn't work for the WHOLE family--including you!--then it doesn't work. Find a way to make it work if you're going to do it.

And yes, LMom is totally right: aim low your first year! You want to make a year's worth of progress for a year's worth of work. That's it! Anything else is gravy. And I'm betting that if you locked your daughter in her room with a pile of books, she'd be able to manage a year's worth of progress, right? So don't stress out about it. In the absolute worst case, she makes no progress at all. She's what? 3 years ahead of grade level now? So don't worry about it. (And trust me, she WILL make progress! smile ) So start with making sure she loves to learn, and give yourselves time to hit your stride. Don't worry about progress for a while. As long as she isn't watching TV and playing video games all day (this is one rule that almost ALL HSers agree about: no TV or video games until schoolwork is done!), but is reading and writing and drawing and building and thnking all day, then she's doing what she should be doing.

And be sure your DD is on board with HSing before you make the decision to HS. If she doesn't want to HS, then it won't work. Period. She has to buy into it and feel responsible for her own education. She has to understand that you're in this together, you're a team, and that you will both make mistakes along the way. Heck, you've never done this either! So good communication between you two is a must. She has to recognize that you are promising the state to give her an education, and you can only do that if she cooperates. If you have that talk, then motivating her to work will get a whole lot easier.

Okay, now to the inevitable curriculum question...

Here's my answer to the same question not long ago. Pardon the re-post, but it's a long answer, and the same one I'd post now:

Originally Posted by Me!
    I like the "What Your Xth Grader Needs to Know" series by E.D. Hirsch, Jr. (I bought several years' worth, just to be sure I covered all the basics, but really, checking them out of the library would probably have been enough...) For pretty much all the other subjects besides math, we raid the library and follow DS's interests wherever they take us. (Our library even lets home schoolers get an "educator" card, so we can keep the books for a lot longer without fines.) And BTW, we don't try to do every subject every day, or even once per week. I figure we just need to hit all the major subjects by the end of the year and it will all balance out. And after all, the danger isn't that our kids will go too slowly or fall behind, really, is it? Mainly I'm having trouble keeping enough material on hand because he's going through it so fast!

(BTW, For math we started out using Singapore Math www.singaporemath.com because math was his weakest area and I had some math fear, so I wanted to be sure he stayed on track. It was fine, a good starting point, but not a great success, I didn't think. This year we're going "off-road" even on math. I'm getting help from my engineer DH, but we're not even using a packaged curriculum for that. We're all happier. As I say, it is a learning process, and DS gave me good feedback about the math so that we could tailor our plans to better meet his needs. So far, so good!)

I've found GREAT help and reassurance in "Creative Home Schooling: A Resource Guide for Smart Families" by Lisa Rivero. That one is worth buying, in my opinion!

Otherwise, probably the two best pieces of advice anyone gave me were to find an active home schoolers association and not to buy a bunch of curriculum right away. The benefits of joining a group are probably self-evident--social connections, field trips, contacts you couldn't find alone, classes like art, P.E., foreign languages, etc. As for the curriculum, much of what you'd buy at first is going to be wrong for your child, and you can waste a lot of money! Ease into it. Use the library. Figure out what suits you both. Then plunk down the cash as necessary.

I hope this helps!

I still do! wink Write back if I can help with anything.

Kriston
    Yeah, what Kriston said! LOL, I think she has covered all the bases.

Do you know why your husband is reluctant to try homeschooling? We may be able to help more if you know if it's an issue with being different, loss of income, stress, the socialization issue...

G
    OP Offline
    G
    My husbands concern is that he doesn't think that I am disciplined enough. I am not sure where he gets that idea except that when the kids were little, all of my friends did "Baby Wise". It didn't work for me! I feel it was because gifted kids are different. Mine have never required much sleep. Never took naps etc. My son stays up till 11 at night but he is always up on time, gets straight A's and never once has a teacher complained that he is tired.
    Also, this past year with my son, we had an arrangement. He didn't like to be told when to do his homework. He is very independant. The agreement was he was responsible to do his homework, whenever he wanted under 2 conditions. It had to be done by 9pm and if he ever missed homework or his grades started dropping then he would do it when we said.
    This arrangement drove my husband crazy! He didn't understand why he just wouldn't do his homework when he got home and be done with it. But my son was very happy with it and so was I. I no longer had to fight with him to do it.
    I guess I am just very laid back and do not have a set schedule. HS would still work though, wouldn't it? Plus my DD is a very self directed learner. As it is, she comes home from school and makes her own assignments. She is constantly researching and making Powerpoint presentations on the things that interest her. At this point, the school actually told me that she can no longer do PPP but has to come up with other ways to do projects. So she has made private wiki's and does alot with Windows Movie Maker.
    Also, I live in Florida and I have been told it is pretty easy to HS here. There are also umbrella schools that keep the records and provide testing. Also, my neighbor is a retired school teacher and she tutors alot of the HS'ers so I would have alot of support.
    When I asked my DD what she thought, her first reaction was "What about my friends?" but to be honest she really doesn't have any in her grade level. Outside of school, she has no contact with kids in her grade, not that we haven't tried. I told her she would meet new people that have more in common with her and that she would be able to work ahead. That got her excited. Any ideas how to convince DH?
    Thanks.
    ~Gatorgirl

Again, we are not homeschooling.......yet.
    My DH was convinced the girls would be ready to go to college and somehow we would suddenly find that they didn't know anything.
    My style is exactly like yours! grin
    I am strict with behavior issues: ie being rude, torturing your sister, language, respectful attitude towards adults, etc.
    However, when it comes to school/homework I feel the kids do better when they "buy in to it". "Because I said so" just doesn't fly. I'd rather they spend their energy and intellect productively completing something because THEY have a reason to, rather than spend it creating subterfuge to my homework expectations.
    I have been accused by one particular mom of: Having no control over my kids. However, that particular mom is eerily similar to the Chapman mom I just read about.
    I think my husband misinterprets my style just a little bit. But he trusts me. When I showed him I could administer the IBTS at home every year to gauge their progress(That's just what the school does!) He said, fine, go for it.

Originally Posted by Gatorgirl
    I guess I am just very laid back and do not have a set schedule. HS would still work though, wouldn't it? Plus my DD is a very self directed learner. As it is, she comes home from school and makes her own assignments.

I think being laid back is a real asset! You wouldn't stress out about hs, you would let her show you the way and won't follow any curriculum to the t. I think flexibility is the key and it's quite obvious that your children are very independent and can take care of themselves if given chance.

Would your DH be willing to read books about gt children? Or at least a few articles.

I personally like this on a lot

http://www.stephanietolan.com/is_it_a_cheetah.htm

May be that could be enough of eye opener for him. May be you need him to realize that she would be better off if she wasn't at school.

Another idea is write down all the things she would like to learn in next few months and show it to DH. You could also make a list of things she already does on daily basis out of the school, so he can see that DD would learn new things. Signing her up for one or two online classes could also help.

Find a local hs group and see if they have any classes. DH may like to see what options there are beyond school settings.

Good luck

LMom
    Given what you've said, HSing would absolutely still work for your family, Gatorgirl!

I think your DH is way off on this one. (No offense!) But your flexibility with your son and how you solved that homework problem so well says to me that you'd do amazingly WELL as a HS parent! It's a plus for you, not a minus!

Here's my thinking: Did the homework get done? Were there any ill effects from the way it got done? Was it late or poorly finished? Was your DS happy and cooperative because of how you approached the problem? Then I'd say that was a truly successful bout of problem-solving! The only thing that I can see to trouble your DH is that you thought creatively to do what worked best for your child rather than being a hard-nosed "Toe the line or else!" kind of person. Well, in HSing, working well with your kid is a plus, not a minus! smile There is no "one right way" in HSing, there's just the way that works for your kid.

One of the benefits of HSing is that you can work when it suits you and play when it suits you. Your DH seems to be assuming that you'd be doing the "school at home" method--sit in a chair for 7+ hours and do everything out of schoolbooks with the parent as the teacher/expert--but I know of literally *zero* HSers who use the "school at home" approach. It's boring and hard and especially for a GT child, it's just flat unnecessary to spend so much time on schoolwork. With my 7yo, we spent about 2-3 hours on schoolwork each day roughly 4 days per week. And I worked him pretty hard! In that time, we covered 2 years of math plus a good chunk of "real" geometry (because he was bored with arithmetic and not quite ready--at age 6--to memorize his times tables). We studied J.S. Bach because he got fascinated by his life. We read about tide pools and the animals who live in them. We read about Sacagawea and other Native Americans, he learned about archaeology and read lots of history and poetry and fiction. His reading improved by at least 3-5 grade levels over where he started in less than a year! (I'm not exactly sure which because I didn't find a good above-grade test for him.) All that in 8-12 hours per week of work. And I'm not including all the art classes, Spanish classes, P.E. classes, engineering, learning about the Olympics and trying out the sports (thank you, HS group!)... It was a good year! He really loved the work, too!

From late elementary school-high school, the kids tend to work 3-5 hours per day or so. That's usually plenty. The rest of the time is spent on fun extras or a child's particular interests.

If you think about it, that amount of time makes sense. Consider how much school time is spent waiting in line for the the bathroom, waiting for the rest of the class to catch up, moving in a line from here to there, dumb convocations...When you HS, you don't have any of that. And if your child likes to read before bed, well, that counts as schoolwork! If you're a morning person and you want to get school out of the way at the crack of dawn and play the rest of the day, that's great. If you are not a morning person, and you'd rather work in the afternoon when the caffeine is working for you, that's great, too.

You're flexible and your daughter is self-directed...sounds like a great HS situation to me! laugh

Kriston
    A
    A
    Another thought... You say that both children are in a private school. Is there a public school with a serious GT curriculum or at least the desire and flexibility to work with your daughter nearby?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM