Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 83 of 131 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 130 131
    M
    M
    4yr old: Mummy when will I be as old as my big sister?
    Me: In 8 years you will be as old as she is now
    4 yr old (wailing): But I don't want to DIE!!!!

Also quite regularly:

4yr old: Mummy, when will I get to go on stage and hold the microphone?
    Me: When you are in school you will get a turn too
    4yr old: Mummy, why is everyone looking at me?!?!? Make them stop looking at me!!

M
    M
    If and when you discover a way to get them to stop, please let me know. I am reaching my personal limit.

M
    M
    MumOfThree, that reminds me of what DD said yesterday:

DD: So I have to be a teenager to learn to drive?
    Me: Yes, I believe you have to be at least 16. Why? You want to learn to drive?
    DD: Yeah, so when you die, I still can get around.

A
    A
    DS3 when he encounters a new word: "Unexpectedly, Daddy, I don't understand what you mean by ----. Can you please explain it to me?"

And

"Unfortunately, that word is not in my vocabulary, Daddy. What does it mean?"

What is to give light must endure burning.
    B
    B
    Our piano tuner comes in (who sometimes attends our quirky church that seems to attract free thinkers, retired professors, teachers and doctors) sizes up our living room (piano, dulcimer, chess boards, art/ building projects, numerous books, field guides, binoculars, etc.) Tunes our piano, then sets down without any prompting at the table and teaches our daughter a lesson on chess strategy. Grabs his bag, coat and heads to his next appointment.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    DS3 was splashing water out of the bathtub and onto the floor of the bathroom during last evening's bath. When asked to stop, he replied, "Mama, I'm just making a painting on the floor to look like a Jackson Pollock."

I do not miss the "Jackson Pollock" phase! What a mess.

The librarians commented once about dd, then 4, checking out 30,000 Years of Art from the library (we literally wore the spine out). "There's naked people in there."

I replied, "Yep and it's all I can do to keep clothes on her. She couldn't care less." They know her now and just roll with it.

At 9, she still loves and appreciates art. When she was 8, we took her to a "gallery town" and she was entranced, spending two days going through good quality galleries.

M
    M
    We had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house this year. DD4 is mostly a vegetarian. We had carefully prepped DD about not saying anything about other people's dietary choices and we thought she understood but apparently, she didn't. Next year, we're having our Thanksgiving dinner at a vegan restaurant.

C
    C
    This was one that completely left me stunned. I thought my daughter was joking but she was not. I bought a different kind of Microwave popcorn this time, and it's the kind that you tear off the side and it makes a bowl instead of opening at the top. DD10 completely freaked out and couldn't figure out what she was supposed to do with it.

Me: "Just read the directions and pop it like normal then open it like it says."

DD10 went off and put it in the Microwave. The directions said to pop for 2 to 2 and a half minutes. She came back and complained that not all of it was popped.

Me: Did you read the directions?
    DD10: yes
    Me: how long did you pop it?
    DD10: 1 and a half minutes
    Me: So you read the directions you just didn't follow them?
    DD10: This whole bag is confusing! Who opens the bag from the side? How am I supposed to trust the instructions if the bag opens the wrong way?

I love the side effects of the gifted. Yes she is adjusting slowly to the different popcorn. Wonder if I should switch back or if I should stick with it now that she's figuring it out.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Similar story: A few years ago, when they came out with new Oreo bags that open from a pull tab on the top (instead of at the end), the child who was working three years above grade level in math could not figure out how to open a bag of cookies.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    OP Offline
    I got my DH a card on the occasion of his oral qualifiers in grad school-- it was a Far Side card, with a young man pushing with all his might on a door.

The door was marked "Pull."

Right below the inscription on the window that prominently stated "Institute for the Mentally Gifted."

grin I usually think of that card on occasions like that. Luckily, everyone in our household has a pretty good sense of humor about it, but there really IS something to it when your over-powered brain just plain runs over some aspect of reality, which then grabs an axle and hangs on while you spin in place.

I was thinking about this earlier in the week as I read the thread re: telling time and getting in one's way with an assumption or belief that turns out to be completely incorrect. It can be SO hard to switch gears when it feels all wrong. LOL!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 83 of 131 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM