Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    How is it different from the WISC IV? I can find very little specific info online.

Thanks!
    UlH

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    So, the big difference between the WISC-IV and -V is that the PRI has been split into two indices, the Visual-Spatial and Fluid Reasoning Indices. There are also half-a-dozen supplementary indices that can be derived, including a Nonverbal Index. Quite a few ancillary subtests were added, looking at such areas as rapid naming and orthographic coding (or trying to, anyway). Some items have been updated, and minor modifications made to scoring/basal/ceiling rules, in the interest of streamlining testing. Supposedly, the floor and ceiling of the subtests have been strengthened, to improve utility for the extremes. The new core subtests largely come to the WISC from the WPPSI-IV or WAIS-IV.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Thanks aeh!
    Do you know which subtests are used to calculate FSIQ?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Similarities
    Vocabulary
    Block Design
    Matrix Reasoning
    Figure Weights
    Digit Span
    Coding

It's both Verbal Comp and Fluid Reasoning subtests, and one each from Visual Spatial, Working Memory, and Processing Speed. The core indices will only require two subtests for an Index score. Generally, I like the fact that the Cognitive Proficiency subtests will have less weight, and only two subtests in the FSIQ have a significant speed element.

B
    B
    Are the speed element tests block design and coding? DS didn't do well on either one of them because of his fine motor issues. I wish they'd do away with coding. It seems like so many 2e kids do poorly on it.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Yes. And I know what you mean. But it's pretty important to ID'ing those types of LDs, so I wouldn't want to get rid of it entirely. I think they were trying to minimize it's effect a bit by weighting it less.

B
    B
    This is why schools should use the GAI for gifted programming, but people don't seem to understand what it is. Our district talks about the FSIQ and wanting a cut-off score of like 132 or 139. I think the district psych used the GAI for DD but he quit in the middle of the school year and no one else knows anything about the WISC. The school psych wanted to give DD the Weschler non-verbal ability test which seemed like it would be terrible for her with her ADHD and processing speed issues so I declined and took her for private testing, keeping my fingers crossed they would take it and that the school district would take a GAI (I knew before she even took it her processing speed score would be bad).

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I agree. The GAI makes much more sense on multiple levels. It includes many more 2e kids, and it excludes the rare high CPI/low GAI kid, who isn't actually gifted in terms of abstract reasoning, just really fast. Which is fabulous for being at the top of the class in regular programming, but not a true gifted profile.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Interesting. Is there a transition period where psychs will have the option of either WISC IV or V?

DS5 (6 in Jan) is very strong in verbal, working memory, and processing speed so I suspect the WISC IV would play more to his strengths.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    One year, usually, but it will depend a little on the psych and their budget. I will be using both this next year, until I run out of record forms for the IV.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM