Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    22B Offline
    Sounds reasonable.

I wonder if you could edit your thread title to better attract the attention of posters who might have that kind of information.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Sounds reasonable.

I wonder if you could edit your thread title to better attract the attention of posters who might have that kind of information.

I am attempting to change the title of the thread. I have no idea if this will work! ::crossing fingers::

...Success!

....or not.

Last edited by Marnie; 06/20/14 09:39 PM.
    22B Offline
    That's just your latest post. Go back to your original post and edit that.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by 22B
    That's just your latest post. Go back to your original post and edit that.

Done. Hopefully it worked this time! Thanks smile

Last edited by Marnie; 06/20/14 09:40 PM.
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by Marnie
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I can certainly understand why you'd ask this, and you might as well find out what you can, but it seems quite risky to choose a location based on potential schooling, when the schooling could turn out to be far below expectations. (Sorry, I don't have any information about such schooling.) I'm also surprised that one could find an astrophysics post-doc "anywhere, within reason". I thought the academic job market situation was rather grim.

It's not about picking a location based on schooling, more the fact that we could theoretically end up anywhere in the world, due to the post-doc search (DH has talked about the possibility of Sydney and Cape Town, for example.) Obviously there has to be an appropriate program for him, but again, it could be anywhere so we mainly wanted to gather some info about any excellent gifted programs/areas so we would have at least some ideas of what's out there, when having to make our decisions.

Ah, the dreaming phase. I do that too.

S
    S
    Thank you puffin. You saved me a lot of time there!
    Thank you Tallulah- Germany is an option for us- but there is no time for homeschooling as we both work.
    If we would go to Singapore or Japan we would choose an international school which are not quite like the local schools. As for now, Canada is at top of our list. Marnie, have you considered moving abroad?

N
    N
    If you are looking for "good work balance", one factor you may need to look into would be cost of living. We moved from a very high cost of living city to a much lower cost of living city (smaller city but with major cities 2-4 hours drive in 3 directions) - and currently we live in an area where the commute is not that bad for us (definitely nothing like the area we moved from, traffic-wise where at times, it seems like I could bike in the same amount of time to get to my location, although biking was definitely a much higher risk of injury due to the higher incidence of bike accidents).

In fact, even in my company, folks internally have noted that my site location has better work/life balance than our HQ location, and we have had lots of folks relocated to my site from HQ location specifically because of the lower cost of living and lower stress of daily life.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Soccermom
    If we would go to Singapore or Japan we would choose an international school which are not quite like the local schools. As for now, Canada is at top of our list. Marnie, have you considered moving abroad?

We have - two locations that are apparently very good for DH in terms of post-docs (as per his advisor) are Cape Town and Sydney. So we are definitely not confined to the US (of course that is where all our family is, but a post-doc is only a finite amount of time, so the idea of being able to go someplace for 3 years and then return does hold a kind of allure.)

C
    C
    Soccermom (and Marnie if you are looking at Canada). You mentioned Westmount and I grew up in Calgary and go home quite often so let me know if you have questions (although I don't have experience with the school). I also have some experience with the French language schools if you are curious on that front. Feel free to start a new thread or PM.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    I have no idea about astro in Canada, would have to ask DH, but like I said earlier, we aren't really ruling anything out. (And have gotten a few Canada suggestions...so we will certainly have to keep that in mind, thanks!

Also, DH's mom speaks fluent French, and DS has picked up on some of that, so French immersion was always something that seemed pretty of interesting to us.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM