Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 319 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 38 of 102 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 101 102
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Mana
    DD 3.75 couldn't handle Charlotte's Web a few months ago but I thought Stuart Little won't be as bad so we started reading it about a week ago. Tonight, we read the part when the little bird flies away. DD sobbed uncontrollably and cried herself to sleep.

Oh, god, Stuart Little. That book traumatized my DD when she was 5 or 6. I never even tried Charlotte's Web after that experience.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    ...when your 2.25yo eagerly asks, "Can I see a diagram of a lacrimal caruncle? Let's look it up on Google!"

...when your pre-bed settling includes watching videos of how the following instruments are made, at your child's request: pipe organ, piano, harpsichord, and church bells. (Yes, he was inspired at Mass today.)

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    Much has been written about fairy tales, folklores, and fables but more than I expected, modern children classics are almost equally disturbing. I must be a slow learner since we watched Alice in Wonderland yesterday and DD decided to not read books or watch movies for awhile, at least not the ones I pick. I must sound like the most clueless mother but she's been okay with fairy tales which can be far more gruesome than Alice in Wonderland.

Going back to the topic at hand:

When a three year old gives an accurate lecture about fault lines, earthquakes, volcanoes, and tsunami in her own words, pulling information together from various sources.

I don't think I knew what tectonic plates were until middle school.

L
    L
    When your 4.5 yo says on our way back from school," mom, teacher was trying to give me challenging work. But she gave me easy ones like 10+3 and 10+10+10. So I told her this is easy. I can divide. And she said be quiet. Hahaha. Seriously, mom, why can't I go to 2nd grade. Why do I have to do pre-k, then k, then first grade?"

C
    C
    When you find yourself telling your seven-year old that despite his newfound facts about the periodic table (that he came across at bedtime tonight) seeming so amazing, no, he is not allowed to come downstairs five times to share his insights... or he will be losing more computer time...

He wants to make his own flash cards tomorrow to learn them.

M
    M
    When during a checkup, your 7 yr old finds a way to mention the books he's reading, recites his folk hero monologue, and that he's learning division with examples.

If that wasn't enough, my 3.5 yr old pipes up that he know how to add and subtract (also with examples).

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    ...when your 2.25yo insists at 11:30pm--after reading a pile of books the toddler equivalent of K2--that he wants to practice skip counting by 10 before bed. But there's a catch: you have to take turns saying the numbers as fast as humanly possible while jumping on the bed. This went back and forth for 20 minutes with lots of giggle fits and probably hundreds of urges to, "go even faster!"

And some people say gifties don't exhibit overexcitabilities? Yeah, right.

And that pop educator nonsense about young children not having innate number sense? Sure...

...when your heart aches for your child after she tells you, with tears in her eyes, that today her teacher told her to just be quiet and go sit down after she asked the teacher why one of her problems on her worksheet was checked wrong.

I guess self-advocating only works when the adult educator in the situation gives a hoot and I bet DD won't do that again any time soon. Thanks a lot "educator of the year" *sarcasm!*

FWIW - DD did this at the appropriate time (wasn't interrupting the teacher or anything) and I looked at the problem myself and it was a correct answer.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    1frugalmom, that's heartbreaking. I'm so sorry your DD wasn't heard, or at least politely deferred until a later time. I don't know why some teachers feel they can run roughshod over the feelings of some children. The teacher shouldn't have done that.

S
    S
    OOO that teacher would be explaining to me, the principal and my child why she didn't have time to give feedback for an incorrect answer so that the child could learn from her mistake. That is a critical factor in assessment. Teach/asses/feedback/reteach.

OH, lookie here, the answer is correct. I think you owe her an apology for not looking at her paper and going over the problem with her.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Page 38 of 102 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM