Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by 22B
    What about a privately run pool?

Anyway, how is the gate person supposed to know that some person in the party has some special role that would warrant free entry? You would need some method to verify that a person is some kind of professional aide, and that they are acting in that capacity at that time?

Originally Posted by PanzerAzelSaturn
    we could have managed without the TSS

How much were they costing the state?

My son's therapists have IDs supplied by the agency and when necessary (such as to accompany him to one of the city's day camps) they fax over the paperwork showing they have been TB tested, fingerprinted and background checked.

Of note, when a therapist accompanies my son to a city-run daycamp, I don't pay an entrance fee for the therapist and when we have gone to the pool (which is done not because it's entertaining but to work on specific skills like tolerating the feel of wet cold clothes while being around a certain amount of noise) we have not had to pay for the aide's entrance fee. In our area this is a recognized ADA accommodation.

I
    I
    Hi, found this for you (tried looking around b/c I'm curious now. I wonder how it works with the elderly, etc.): http://www.thespeciallife.com/disability-discounts.html#axzz353BZvWgI

Still not sure about the actual law on the subject... will try to research more or ask around to my colleagues tomorrow ...

P
    PanzerAzelSaturn
    Unregistered
    PanzerAzelSaturn
    Unregistered
    P
    I told the person that she was my sons therapist, I didn't expect him to read my mind. How much is she costing the state? Her salary of likely 15 bucks or so an hour plus all of the overhead. So, in short, a ton of money. Why?

And just because we can manage without a TSS doesn't mean we should have to. My son is aggressive when upset and gets upset often. It is safer for everyone if the TSS is there to help out, both helping him stay calm and dealing with behaviors if they occur.

P
    PanzerAzelSaturn
    Unregistered
    PanzerAzelSaturn
    Unregistered
    P
    BTW, thanks a bunch everyone. I really appreciate your responses smile

I
    I
    Incidentally, in a privately run pool the aide would have been free - when you belong to a private pool you get to bring guests, aides, etc. for "free."

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Incidentally, in a privately run pool the aide would have been free - when you belong to a private pool you get to bring guests, aides, etc. for "free."

Really? I don't think you can make such a sweeping generalization about how all non-government-run pools operate.

I just want to mention that most State Parks have programs for free admission or up to 50% off for people with disabilities. You should look into it.

Last edited by maisey; 06/18/14 09:37 PM.
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Get in touch with your state's ADA coordinator. There might be one as a part of the parks department or it might just be someone in the social services department. This is an issue they should be made aware of and your bringing it up could result in a better outcome for other families in the future.

Any state, city, etc. that gets federal money has to have an ADA coordinator and a complaint procedure.

Look around the agency websites and you'll probably find someone.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by SouthLake
    Let's be clear : the therapist is not there to have fun and didn't even swim. She/he is there because otherwise this disabled child cannot use this state park as it was intended, on an equal footing with non disabled peers. I realize this seems like a trivial point for some people but it is a sore spot for many in the autism community. Our kids are not less equal or less loved.

No one stopped the aide from entering the park and no one stopped her from doing her job and no one said that kids with disabilities should be less equal and less loved. A cashier just just asked her to pay the eight bucks. If they give a discount, that's nice. It's great. But there doesn't seem to be a LAW requiring it.

So what if she didn't swim? She entered the park and there was an admission fee for doing so. End of story. Maybe the park offers a discount, and the cashier didn't know that. Personally, I would have made a casual enquiry with the State Parks department before making claims about discrimination --- especially because no one was discriminated against. Asking for an admission fee that everyone else pays is not discrimination.

22B Offline
    Here's another scenario to consider. What if you needed to catch a flight and your child needed an aide. Should the airline give the aide a free ticket?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM