Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I just want to share this info and study about Stereotypic movement disorder (SMD) and its differentiation from tics and autistic stereotypies and even ADHD. My son has this and he calls it his creative shocks. It's nothing pathological and is very often misdiagnosed and misunderstood. Here is the link:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2010.03627.x/pdf

I hope it helps others!

Last edited by Irena; 06/18/14 03:11 PM.
    B
    B
    Very intersting. Never heard of it. DS has DCD (and possibly ADHD) and used to be a major hand flapper. I don't see it very often anymore. I was never too worried about it because he was obviously only doing it when he was excited, and it didn't look like stimming. He also toe-walked sometimes (and still does), so between that and the hand-flapping, I knew what people were thinking when they watched him. I would love to know how many kids with DCD toe-walk because I have seen it before in kids who clearly have DCD but not other disorders like autism.

LAF Offline
    Irena - thank you for posting this- currently I am trying to determine if my DS10 has tourettes/tourettism or SMD or both..

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Your welcome, LAF. Also, if your son is having tics, one thing that seems to help a lot is magnesium. I have both of my sons take a magnesium salt bath at least three times a week. (I use san fransisco Epsom salt). One was having nervous tics and they completely stopped within one week of starting the baths. They have not come back and it's been a year now. You can give magnesium supplements but I like the baths because the body will absorb the magnesium through the skin and will only absorbed as much as it needs so I don't have to worry about his getting too much or too little. But I have heard good things about the supplements too. For the bath, I put a little over 2 cups (measured with a measuring cup) on bath water and have him stay in the bath for 15 minutes. It is a good mineral that many of us and many children are deficient in.

LAF Offline
    I will try the magnesium baths thanks for the tip smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM