Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 60 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 25 of 102 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 101 102
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by cricket3
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    ...when your needle-nose pliers are never where they belong. Ever.

Yes! And scissors. Somehow, we have acquired at least 10 pairs yet there is still never a pair in the scissor drawer. I think they hang out with the forever missing rolls of masking tape and duct tape.

sweet mother of cheese - the TAPE. where does it go? (A: rube goldberg machines)

we started the homeschooling year with a monthly tape budget for DD5 - but two months in, i have officially given up. i guess since we're not paying for school anymore - she can have the dang tape!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    i guess since we're not paying for school anymore - she can have the dang tape!

You're right. I'm not paying full-time tuition for DD's preschool so she can spend more time with me at home. I shouldn't be so stingy over supplies. I should find a bulk source for double-sided tape.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Mana
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    i guess since we're not paying for school anymore - she can have the dang tape!

You're right. I'm not paying full-time tuition for DD's preschool so she can spend more time with me at home. I shouldn't be so stingy over supplies. I should find a bulk source for double-sided tape.

i threw in the towel the day that the made-entirely-of-scotch-tape greenhouse, complete with soil and paper flowers, appeared on DD5's windowsill. it was a TRIUMPH of engineering and patience... and i didn't have the heart to tell her it blew her budget. that's when i thought of the school/$ thing: at the time, it was a total rationalization, but i think it's been totally worth it. so many amazing creations!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    What is it with these kids and tape?! DS2 has had a tape obsession since he was only a few months old. Our concierge, bless her heart, even kept a supply of colourful post-its and coloured masking tapes for when he stopped by to visit each day. I thought it was sensory-seeking and just ran with it but, though interest has abated, he's still often game to build things out of tape and sundry construction supplies.

The greenhouse sounds adorable, doutbtfulguest.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    When your DD9 gets mad because everyone always talks about Einstein and says, "You know there were other scientists before him like Isaac Newton and Leonardo DaVinci who were very important too."

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    When you tell your six year old to do the unit test review in her workbook. When you come back to check on her 15 minutes later, she has completed several unit tests for units she has not studied yet because, "It was so easy."

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Portia
    As we start our section on the circulatory system by request...

Mom, I don't want to do the notebook or all that other stuff (referring to the worksheets and cool experiments I pulled together). I just want to learn about how to heart works, how the blood gets nutrients and oxygen to the body, how oxygen changes the blood to red, how much oxygen is actually needed, how much oxygen is in blue blood, the different development types (referring to congenital heart diseases - we don't use the word developed wrongly here. Things develop differently.), and I want to SEE a surgery showing a heart pumping and maybe a valve replacement. I just want to know how all that actually works.

Yeah - what was Mom thinking pulling together activities when I should have just put together a fact board.

Have you heard of k/w/L charts.? Get a giant dry erase board and divide it into three columns labeled Know/ Want/Learned....so before you pull together materials ask him what he already knows about the topic, the heart in this case (even wrong information goes here and is okay) ...then ask what he wants to study about the topic... He lists all his questions and what he is curious about...then you pull together the you tube of the heart surgery and find sources for all the other information he is interested in or talk about what sources online are good and which ones aren't as reliable. Mayo clinic, Nemours,etc.

Then L is what did I learn....and here you can go back and correct misconceptions in the first column...

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Portia
    Thanks Sweetie. We started with this in worksheet form instead of chalkboard format (part of the collection I had gathered - activity 1). Maybe my worksheet looked too schooly??? I was surprised at the protest. It's his first endeavor into biology of any sort. I pulled together things that "I" thought looked fun. Should have known better.

HIS list of questions is a pretty good list. There is not anything that comprehensive in one location. I'm still pouting a bit that he wasn't interested AT ALL in any of the fun stuff.

Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    M
    M
    When your 19 month old (now 20 mo) is sitting quietly on his PG grandfather's lap, watching a program on the music channel and you walk in and he turns his head and knowingly says "Look, Mama, Lang Lang" pointing to the guy on the screen and you think it's gibberish and you say "who?" and your Dad informs you that "Max is referring to Lang Lang, we're watching a documentary about his work". And you discreetly go Google "Lang Lang" when their backs are turned blush

D
    D
    when your DD5 says this: "mum, i plan to have 4 children. but don't worry, when i eventually get interested in men, i will get the birth control shot to make sure i can choose when i want to begin having babies."

huh - what is that i'm feeling? is it a small stroke... or is it relief that she is so sensible. help!

Page 25 of 102 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM