Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 70 of 131 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 130 131
    L
    L
    Loving all the posts. This is not a quirky brag but didn't know where else to post. Does anyone have a good video link or book suggestion that explains human evolution. Dd4.8 asked me out of the blue last week where humans came from. " mom, where did the first human come from? how was he born without a mommy?" I showed her a few evolution videos that I googled but she has more questions now. So looking for a kid friendly resource. Thanks.
    Ps. Maybe we need a thread titled "random questions- need quick input".

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    DS2.7: Daddy, what is that big book?

DH: That's the Canadian Income Tax Act.

DS: I think it would put any normal human being to sleep.
    I would just like to say that this sounds not in the least quirky, but like the response of any rational human being of any age to the tax code. wink

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by Cassmo451
    Does anyone else's kid just randomly sleep in other places in their room besides the bed?
    Yes. Other places. Other rooms. At the moment DD5 has taken over DD3's crib, and DD3 is displaced and wandering aimlessly around the house.

Thank you and to aeh as well. Just making sure my kid was still within the "normal" range for the "not so normal" LOL. She has trouble sleeping so I wasn't sure if I should let her continue to explore what might be better for her on her own or if I should be strict and make her stay in bed. But I think I am just going to let it go for now and see. Pick my battles for the important things. Thanks again.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    L
    L
    I told dd4.8 today that she should spend some time doing creative writing everyday- write and illustrate your own stories. She asked me if it needed to be fiction. I said no, it can be non-fiction. So she went up to her homeschool and 1/2 hour later came out with a two page story titled "Newton and Gravity". The illustration depicted Newton standing under an apple tree with an apple falling (arrows showed exactly how it fell on his head). A dialog bubble above newton read," Hey! Why is the apple falling down instead of going up?" The text on the next page read: the apple fell on Isaac newton. And he found out there was a force.
    Ps. She has been doing a lot of experiments lately to understand the relationship between gravity and friction, which she believes are two opposing forces. The bragworthy part is she is discovering a lot of the concepts without any prior exposure and I am just labeling them and adding historical context.

A
    A
    Lovemydd, that's charming!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    dd 4.1 wants new animals for her imaginative play so asked me about desert birds. I suggested we google some and up came a gila woodpecker. Baring in mind we live in NZ which does not have any form of woodpecker and they are not part of our popular culture, I thought I had an excellent opportunity to teach her something new. I called her over and said look honey here's a new bird for you, oh yes she says, that's a gila woodpecker, I can tell because he is on a cactus and has a red patch on his head. right...... I'm blaming Diego for this

M
    M
    This is more about my quirkiness as a child.

My dear mother sent us a package for DD's birthday, which I truly appreciate but included in it was a book that is appropriate for 1/2 year olds. My DD is turning 4. She read it in less than a minute and sort of looked puzzled but it was not a big deal.

This however reminded me that my mother gave me a book on Monet for my 6th birthday. I was horrified that 1) I was stuck with this book and 2) I had a mother who couldn't tell Monet and Manet apart.

I feel for my mother. I don't think I was an easy child for her to raise, just as I have no idea what I'm doing with DD.

A
    A
    Mana, I think history really must repeat itself, if only to make us appreciate our parents in hindsight. smile

M
    M
    Mana, I think history really must repeat itself

Yes, I'm sure my DD is thinking "I have a mother who cannot sing on pitch. This is tragic." Actually, she doesn't just think it, she tells me all the time. grin

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Mana
    Mana, I think history really must repeat itself

Yes, I'm sure my DD is thinking "I have a mother who cannot sing on pitch. This is tragic." Actually, she doesn't just think it, she tells me all the time. grin

Fortunately, singing on pitch is about as central to parenting well as is collecting rare argyle socks. You're a good mother for her. laugh

Page 70 of 131 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM