Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 116 of 131 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 130 131
    It's all perfectly hilarious until you end up as the parent of a child at an LOG that makes them a freak in their community LOL

Last edited by madeinuk; 06/12/16 01:13 PM.

Become what you are
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Lepa
    My three year old's last day of preschool (for the year) was yesterday. We had a picnic/celebration and I was trying to prompt him to say goodbye to his teachers, who were hugging him, so I said, "do you have anything you want to say to _?" My son replied (to the teacher), "I don't think I like this program. I like to do my own thing and I don't appreciate it when you are always making suggestions about what I should do." Well, that's a goodbye she probably won't forget for a while!

Oh my! Makes you wonder how long he had been waiting to say something like that to her.

H
    HJA Offline
    H
    A few months ago I told my DS5 a story about my mother at her local golf course. She was planting some geraniums at the snack shack between the 9th and 10th holes -- on her own dime I might add. A man came walking/running across the nearby practice green towards her (total faux pas to motor across a green like that). He was waving his arms and shouting at her "Sausage on a bun! Sausage on a bun!" He had clearly mistaken her for a snack shack employee and was in urgent need of sustenance. I always thought it was hilarious because I used to work there as a teen and I often found some of the golfers to be similarly ridiculous. Yesterday morning DS5 was eating breakfast when he spilled something and started saying "serviette! serviette!" I told him he could have one but that there are better ways to ask for one. Without missing a beat, he got a wickedly wonderful smile on his face and shouted "Serviette on a bun! Serviette on a bun!" He has such an amazing sense of humour!!

A
    A
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    Originally Posted by Lepa
    My three year old's last day of preschool (for the year) was yesterday. We had a picnic/celebration and I was trying to prompt him to say goodbye to his teachers, who were hugging him, so I said, "do you have anything you want to say to _?" My son replied (to the teacher), "I don't think I like this program. I like to do my own thing and I don't appreciate it when you are always making suggestions about what I should do." Well, that's a goodbye she probably won't forget for a while!

Oh my! Makes you wonder how long he had been waiting to say something like that to her.

Or whether, given his outspokenness, he had previously expressed that to her and she didn't change her approach.'

Either way, you have an articulate little self-advocate there. Good for him!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    R
    RRD Offline
    R
    As a follow-up to the "how much our DC read" posts: I overheard DS6 and DS4 at bedtime last night negotiating which books they would swap from the piles currently on their beds. I had a huge grin on my face, knowing that we've passed on our love of books to both of them.

Oh, and we always get audiobooks from the library for when we're travelling by car. Yesterday, we introduced them to the A to Z Mysteries. They finished The Absent Author in the car and begged to bring in The Bald Bandit to listen to it at home. They sat quietly through the whole book and at the end, DS6 said "We have to get all of them!". smile

T
    T
    The other day, we were at a large family event, and there was a magician to entertain the audience. My nine year old being one of the few kids there, he was selected to "assist" with a trick. The magician asked him how old he was and then asked "so what do you want to be?" The idea behind the gag being that the kid, beyond the age of answering "fireman" or "race car driver" is unsure and says nothing, the magician says "ten, right?" - cue laughter from the audience.
    Only, my kid, not missing a beat, clearly and confidently said "astrophysicist". The magician went "Ten....what?!!". Kid, pleasantly and confidently, repeats "astrophysicist". Magician, nonplussed, looks at the audience, which, mostly composed of the kid's physician grandfather's old friends, doesn't bat an eyelid and pleasantly and confidently looks back at him, waiting for the show to go on. Magician goes "so, um, astrophysicist. Haven't had that one before." Another pleading look at the audience finally elicits a few laughs and he goes on with the show, and kid, who does have comedy bone in his body in addition to his interest in science, does great at assisting him.
    Only mom, a few rows back, almost falls off her chair with suppressed laughter. Poor magician.

My nine year old wants to do physics at Oxford, UK, then go on to work at CERN in Switzerland. I can totally see him at both places. Hope we can afford the former!

C
    C
    lol, love it! - I've seen that stunned look from an adult after they ask DS10 what he wants to be when he grows up. He's answered "particle physicist" since he was about 6 or so. Astrophysicist, mathematician and engineer are also sometimes thrown in the mix and none of the above would shock me. Maybe they can work together at CERN smile

M
    M
    Given what's going around here lately, I think this thread needs to make a comeback.

I'll go first.

DD6: I have invented a new language.
    Me: Really? How does it go? Is it hard?
    DD6: Oh, no, it is really easy since it's totally random.
    Me: Then I can learn it too.
    DD6: No, it cannot be your randomness. It has to be mine.
    Me: What?
    DD6: You know, organized chaos and method to madness and all that.
    Me: What?
    DD6: Oh Mommy, you know I love you so very much.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Random stranger talking to her friend on the street: "Everything is wonderful and new."

DS5, walking by and apparently seeing some flaw in logic: "Actually, that's not true."

Both women muttering after a few moments: "That's a smart kid..."

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Hee hee that reminds me of one for DS5

Friends were over with their 4 year old and the boy started to have a tantrum over not getting his way. DS5 went over to him and said, "Listen. All your dreams are not going to come true. You should stop crying."

Page 116 of 131 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM