Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
    U
    U
    We have had some good teachers and administrators in our day, but I think one thing that sometimes happens is that the daily carrot/stick behavior-management aspects of teaching seep into the bones of school personnel and they get very weird with the power games. I see this desire to win and to be alpha. Who cares if the kid doesn't go on the field trip? (I also see MYSELF--the way I get sometimes when it feels like my kids are getting the better of me at every turn, and I start to turn into a petty dictator trying to get the upper hand and prove I'm in charge here. It's not a nice look.)

M
    M
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    We have had some good teachers and administrators in our day, but I think one thing that sometimes happens is that the daily carrot/stick behavior-management aspects of teaching seep into the bones of school personnel and they get very weird with the power games. I see this desire to win and to be alpha. Who cares if the kid doesn't go on the field trip? (I also see MYSELF--the way I get sometimes when it feels like my kids are getting the better of me at every turn, and I start to turn into a petty dictator trying to get the upper hand and prove I'm in charge here. It's not a nice look.)

YES! I always get upset with myself when I recognise I'm getting to that point. Luckily I can stop, breathe and change direction. Not sure if the slow-turning wheels of "corporate culture" that assimilate into some schools would allow for the same recognition and self-adjustment.

It's also one of the reasons why I am more and more wary of things that reward "playing the game" with gold stars/A symbols/insert carrot of choice here

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    A possible explanation for much weirdness by school personnel is that they have school improvement or school wide professional development goals which involve meeting some arbitrary benchmark for attendance, on-time attendance, parent participation, communicating, outreach to parents, school-community partnerships, etc. It's the end if the school year, and they're running out of time to meet their goals, which might be tied to merit pay for the principal or teachers union members, avoiding takeover by the state, etc.

Yeah. Personally, I kinda still think it's something like this. They don't want to tell you, but some weird numbers game.

Or, control freak city. I have a theory that charter school brass tend to be like this. Micromanaging, control, control. They were at the charter we had DD at.
    That's because charter schools are in danger of having their charters ripped away every couple of years, so they live in a constant state of fear. Also, they often have a cultish emotional commitment to whatever their special little approach is. Down to the last detail. (Not knocking all charters; I think competition and experimentation in education is a good thing--way better than monolithic bureaucracy. But charters also attract visionaries and fanatics, on the one hand, and profit-driven edubusinesses on the other hand.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P

Well you care. I am not sure this is a hill worth dying on.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    I wasn't kidding about the calls to CPS. I know of 2 families where CPS got involved. One of them involved a single mom who had a first grader and twin infants. She was sometimes a couple minutes late with drop-off because of juggling all the kids by herself, and once it got to about 15 tardies, CPS actually came to the school and there was a meeting.
    One day my kids arrived at school literally seconds (maybe 5 seconds?) after the bell rang. The reason they were late was because someone locked the back door earlier than usual, so they had to walk around the building. The kids were sent to the office and marked tardy, and it's in the records.

I've become paranoid and if I can't get my kids out the door (with DD's ADHD and DS's organizational impairments this is often difficult), I start to panic a bit, thinking about mounting tardies. Sometimes they are marked tardy when I know I dropped them off before the bell rang. Parents aren't allowed into the school (unless they go to the office and sign in with ID), so if my kids get distracted or wander, they are marked tardy, and then I could get reported to CPS.

Parents aren't allowed in the school? I can't imagine that and don't want too. Obviously walking into classrooms and disrupting classes isn't OK but otherwise our school has a open door policy. (just NZ PS).

B
    B
    Parents can be in the school but they have to sign in at the office w/ a photo ID. So parents do not walk their kids into the building in the morning (even kindergartners), they are dropped off at the door or in carpool, then the kids make their own way to their classrooms. If a kid shows up to class late, the teacher sends them to the office and they are marked tardy. Since my kids tend to get distracted, or it takes them forever to take their coats and backpacks off, they don't necessarily show up to class on time.
    Parents can eat lunch with their kids (as long as they sign in) but no one is really allowed to volunteer for grades 2+, unless it's for a field trip or special event. For K-1 the teacher will put you on a volunteer schedule maybe twice per month if you want to come in. Otherwise there are no parents in the building.

W
    W
    Explain on an excused absence form why that field trip does not work for your gifted child.

Prepare an alternative homeschool day - maybe along whatever theme the school is trying to teach on that particular fieldtrip or what works for your family and your child instead.

This is a perfect example of when school districts can demonstrate understanding of gifted people and allow the gifted family to differentiate to the student's benefit.

P
    P
    Parents can be in the school but they have to sign in at the office w/ a photo ID. So parents do not walk their kids into the building in the morning (even kindergartners), they are dropped off at the door or in carpool, then the kids make their own way to their classrooms. If a kid shows up to class late, the teacher sends them to the office and they are marked tardy. Since my kids tend to get distracted, or it takes them forever to take their coats and backpacks off, they don't necessarily show up to class on time.
    Parents can eat lunch with their kids (as long as they sign in) but no one is really allowed to volunteer for grades 2+, unless it's for a field trip or special event. For K-1 the teacher will put you on a volunteer schedule maybe twice per month if you want to come in. Otherwise there are no parents in the building.

What Blackcat reports is WAY more access than parents were allowed at the public DD attended for 1st and 2nd. No parent volunteers, no eating lunch, no going past the office. Period. You could only enter the front door if you called in advance to advise that you were coming. Last year DD had a surgical procedure on her face and asked me to walk her to her classroom because she had a bandage on her face and was uncomfortable about how she would be received by the other kids. Nope, not allowed. Assigned to make a special treat for the class exploration of holidays around the world? Dropped it at the office and they called the classroom only after DH and I left the building so someone could come pick it up and bring it down the hall.

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy huh?

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Pemberley

What Blackcat reports is WAY more access than parents were allowed at the public DD attended for 1st and 2nd. No parent volunteers, no eating lunch, no going past the office. Period. You could only enter the front door if you called in advance to advise that you were coming. Last year DD had a surgical procedure on her face and asked me to walk her to her classroom because she had a bandage on her face and was uncomfortable about how she would be received by the other kids. Nope, not allowed. Assigned to make a special treat for the class exploration of holidays around the world? Dropped it at the office and they called the classroom only after DH and I left the building so someone could come pick it up and bring it down the hall.

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy huh?

Wow - both of these just make me feel sad! Our schools are so very different from that - I hope that all that uber-protectiveness is serving a good purpose.

or it takes them forever to take their coats and backpacks off, they don't necessarily show up to class on time.

My DCD-ds moves so slowly, he was often *inside* his classroom (because that's where the cubbies were) in elementary school and was still marked tardy because he'd still be at his cubby taking off his coat and boots instead of having made it to his desk by the time the teacher took attendance. We're not talking a huge classroom at all... but for some reason his teacher couldn't see him standing next to his cubby!

polarbear

D
    D
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    My DCD-ds moves so slowly, he was often *inside* his classroom (because that's where the cubbies were) in elementary school and was still marked tardy because he'd still be at his cubby taking off his coat and boots instead of having made it to his desk by the time the teacher took attendance. We're not talking a huge classroom at all... but for some reason his teacher couldn't see him standing next to his cubby!

Must have been wearing his invisibility cloak at the time. Sigh.

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM