Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 65 of 131 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 130 131
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Cassmo451
    Oh maybe this goes along with my DD9 discussing, in her sleep very angrily, "The ice cream is all gone, Johnny ate it all." I still don't know who Johnny is but if our children's minds are linked in their sleep I think we are all in trouble!

DD talks about someone eating her ice cream in her dream too! She doesn't know who it is yet but maybe she'll find out someday that it is indeed Johnny.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Portia
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Mummy, if a weak baby wants to share my shovel and says ( DS raises his voice to a falsetto ), "DS, may I please use your shovel?" I will say, "Yes, weak baby, you may. I would be delighted to share my shovel with you. Would you like to play with me?"

But if the weak baby doesn't ask nicely, I will say, "No, weak baby, you may not use my shovel. I'm busy using it." If the weak baby tries to snatch it from me, I will say, "Excuse me, weak baby. You're crowding me. Please step back."

If the weak baby still keeps grabbing my shovel, I will get Daddy and he will say ( DS lowers his voice to impersonate DH), "Weak baby, please give that shovel back to DS." And he will look at the weak baby's parent to get them to make the weak baby give it back to me.

Me: It sounds like you have your plan all figured out. So you'll only play with polite children?

DS: Yes.

Me: I think that's a good policy.

I read these to DH pretty much every night. We both love it. He asked me if there were any updates to how the park date with the "weak babies" went.

Aw!

I can't speak to that particular day as I stayed back, but I do know about the next day. He played "soccer" with a sweet little 4 year old boy. I use quotes because he grew indifferent mid-play once he was satisfied he knew what he was doing, went limp like a rag doll, flopping down on the ground, requiring me to pick him up and carry him to the ball to keep his interest up. That is SOOO DS...interest is maintained until he perceives "mastery", then it's onto the next great thing. (As an aside, I was a bit shocked to see his ball handling was better than a 4yo's.)

He shared his favorite purple shovel with an older girl voluntarily, "because she looked like she needed it more."

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by EmeraldCity
    Aquinas, that weak baby story is quite sticky...I still giggle to myself days later.

Madoosa & Mana - hilarious!

Me: "_____, I love you for infinity!"
    DS4: [dejected sigh]"I love you until the Big Crunch."

Glad you like it! My boy makes me chuckle, too...little character! Today he had me giggling when he called a female mannequin a wo-mannequin...the little feminist.

We also say, "I love you to infinity," though DS hasn't retorted with any counter-cosmological offers... wink

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    I think I just found a cheaper solution to my child's anxieties than therapy (not really but it's working for the moment)

BUBBLE WRAP!!!

She just told me, "It's hard to be angry at stuff when you are popping bubble wrap."

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    M
    M
    A funny conversation with ds 3.5 tonight at dinner.
    L: When does my school end?
    Me: 2 weeks.
    L: So, when I go back to school, it'll be a new school for Kindergarten?
    Me: no,you have one more year in preschool first- pre-k.
    L: can't I skip to K? (Laughing)

Funny thing is I think he's only half laughing/ half serious.
    I think things are going to get real interesting- round 2

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Portia
    Originally Posted by Madoosa
    So I complied feeling very smug until he made me sit and stand about 35 times over while he measured the water levels. He was figuring out displacement after reading about it online and in a book he has and I was the test subject as I could clearly displace more water than his little body could.

Goodness Madoosa. Tears rolling down my cheeks, I am laughing so hard. This is SOOOOO something DS would do.

Yeah it's cute and funny the first time. Not so much now that he wants to try the same experiment. With a tub full of ICE CUBES.

I said no. He asked if we could do it in summer then so I won't get as cold... (it's heading to winter here)

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    C
    C
    One of the oddest conversations just happened with my DD9. She is packing for a weekend trip with her aunt and looking for a snack at the same time and blurts out, "I think it's odd that we start counting at one instead of zero. Why is that?"

This lead to a discussion about what zero is and isn't and how it can't be positive or negative but is also both at the same time. Which leads to a discussion about freezing points are also melting points and how absolutes are not really absolutes.

My husband said she didn't really understand it but when I talked to her again she explained it back to me in her own words and said, "It makes perfect sense to me."

This coming from a child who is working on the "colors" in between black and white in her concrete thinking. Score one for the parent team! We may have just made a connection.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    C
    C
    DD6 insisted on having Hamlet read to her recently (I still don't know what triggered that one). When Voltemand entered she started giggling. Because his name was so similar to HP's Voldemort...

I can't wait for the first grade one 'make a connection' assignment!

M
    M
    CoastalMom that is such a great connection smile You should try the Shakespeare association for "Bottom" and see what happens smile

Every other 5 year old (and most adults) that we know hears Bottom and thinks "Minions".

My 5 year old hears it and laughs - because it's like Bottom in Midsummer's night dream. And apparently there is nothing funnier than a guy with a donkey's head stuck on his er... head...

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    C
    C
    My DD looked up the Venn Diagram distinguishing Nerds, Geeks, Dorks, and Dweebs to determine she is a Geek and now insists that "Geek" be put on the back of her sport jersey as her nickname.

Page 65 of 131 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM