Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 231 of 268 1 2 229 230 231 232 233 267 268
    N
    N
    Yay HK and DD! Congratulations!

K
    K
    That's wonderful!

C
    C
    Congratulations, HowlerKarma! Now you just have to survive the rest of the teen years.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Chana
    Congratulations, HowlerKarma! Now you just have to survive the rest of the teen years.

+1

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Congrats HK!

C
    C
    Congratulations HK, to your daughter, your DH and YOU!

L
    L
    Congratulations, HK and DD!!! smile

One more addendum--

DD wound up graduating number 2 in her high school class. Now, there are some caveats here (and really, this isn't rationalization, but it's worth noting because, well-- you'll see).

Understand that DD took ALL of her high school requirements through her school, during the regular terms, and nothing elsewhere. Her college coursework is all dual enrollment (mostly AP), and I mention that because some kids play games with P/F grading so that a *weighted* GPA becomes higher, since it isn't dragged down by unweighted graduation requirements. DD's GPA is au natural there-- it IS significantly weighted down by things like PE (A+, of course, but still, it dings you when the 4.0 gets averaged into a 4.5 GPA on the term otherwise...) She also took unweighted elective coursework that wasn't strictly required-- which dragged the GPA down a bit as well, in spite of earning A's in those classes.

Her final high school GPA was 4.35 cumulative. This is also not a "perfect" GPA-- she has a B on that transcript. From when she was ten. {sigh} Her unweighted GPA is something like 3.98-- like I said, not perfect.

She is also a big-picture kid with a FIERCE social justice streak-- and a fierce, fierce sense of rationality-- getting A's in this system has been TORTURE for her much of the time, since merely "playing the game" well has felt intellectually dishonest to her-- she really dithers about whether to offer the "right" answer... or the expedient one. Anyway. I mention that because she is divergent in terms of compliance/system-adaptation. It tends to make her subversive and defiant. There are things about this program that make it harder for PG kids relative to MG ones.

The valedictorian is also an HG+ student-- his GPA has been goosed, I think, given what I know DD has taken, what I know he took, and some other particulars about the two of them. He's an academic all-star as well, though, no two ways about it.

Still, the two of them are WAY out ahead of everyone else in the class-- by TENTHS. The two of them are separated by hundredths. The two of them are BOTH anomolies-- higher GPA's than anyone before or after them-- by almost a full tenth, in fact. What's funny about this is that it's been just the two of them since freshman year, and both of them have known it all along. In ANY other year, nobody else would even be competition for #1. {Number 3 wasn't even close, but would have been #1 last year.}

DD was also the only girl in the top 7.

DD, Salutatorian, is considerably younger than the Valedictorian, though. Well-- by 9 months, anyway. grin

All of that to explain why, even at #2 (which might be a surprise/underperformance in a clearly PG kiddo, accelerated or not)-- I am BEYOND proud of her.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    HK - amazing!!! Yes, you deserve to be extremely proud of your DD! Congratulations!!! smile

When DD6 was younger she refused to read because someone had told her that she wasn't supposed to be able to read until she was 5. (I know, don't get me going)
    Well, she started kindergarten this year reading some, but was told by her teacher that her pronunciation wasn't good enough to go to 1st grade for reading. We fought this and she finally moved up, not just for reading but for the entire day.
    I just got her STAR reading scores for the year and according to the scores, she went from reading at the 1.4 (1st grade 4th month) level to reading at the 4.8 (4th grade 8 month)level!
    She now loves reading and is trying to get the most books read over the summer from her entire class.

Last edited by Kerry; 06/24/14 06:55 AM. Reason: grammar
    Page 231 of 268 1 2 229 230 231 232 233 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM