Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
    I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    On online message boards the custom is to quote any post you're particularly replying to. If you reread, you'll see that I am replying to a certain post, whose author seems to feel that hunger is a moral issue and that only food which takes hours to prepare can be healthy.

Thank you, yes. I'm aware of the custom on online message boards (I run and moderate one myself). That's why I quoted you, Tallulah, because I found your interpretation interesting, to say the least, and was responding to you.

In any case, this is wildly off topic, so in the spirit of the purpose of the board and the thread: Do the parents here with allergic children think that having a gifted child makes things easier or harder?

I'm thinking that the ability to comprehend the allergy and understand ingredient lists and the like would make things easier when they're younger. However it also seems like it could contribute to the kind of analysis paralysis or anxiety that gifted kids can sometimes be prone to.

Do the parents here with allergic children think that having a gifted child makes things easier or harder?

It seems to be both.

A. Early literacy and the ability to grasp consequences is a key component of safety for kids like mine, no two ways about it.

In addition, like most HG+ children, mine was capable of stunningly adult behavior by the time she was 2 or 3 yo. That translated into the ability to take her ANYWHERE. Which meant that we didn't have to entrust her to a sitter, which meant greatly enhanced safety for her. While weird in the context of normative, yes, my 5yo was in fact far safer coming to work with me in a lab setting that staying at home with a sitter.

This also meant that we looked far outside the box when it came to family activities-- and child-friendly ones, for that matter. This is how my 6yo enjoyed San Francisco for a week far more than Disneyland. Food allergies + HG+ status = strange and non-normative childhood.

B. In some ways, worse-- because that high cognitive ability also meant that she understood VERY clearly that, for example, some family members simply cared less about her (or her feelings, even as a young child) than they cared about... their routine. Or their immediate desire for gratification. I have the impression that most children aren't actually faced with just how self-centered, petty, and lazy most human beings are. Not really. Food allergic children have all the pieces presented to them on a silver platter every day-- they just need to assemble them. Obviously those of high intellectual capacity DO assemble them quite young. That leads to understanding that they are not emotionally ready for.

Why does grandpa care more about ice cream than me? Doesn't he love me? frown

As Ivy notes, it's also the case that food allergic gifties tend to experience SIGNIFICANT anxiety when they put together two bits of info: 1. I could die from my food allergy, and 2. I will die if I don't eat.

For most food allergic children, this stage seems to happen about ages 9-11yo. With gifted food allergic children, it can happen far far younger-- as young as 3 or 4. Their emotional coping skills and capacity to work with a therapist are significantly limited at those ages, and the LAST thing that you want is a therapist telling your child that his/her fears about food are irrational. Because-- they aren't.

As a side note, while I realize that a Dabrowskian view of development is controversial/theoretical, this DOES seem to nicely explain my daughter's apparent emotional development. The problem is that most adults don't make level 4, and because of item B above, DD was forced into that at about age 11. My first post on the forum was, in fact, probably at least partly triggered by a perfect storm of factors leading to a disintegration in this particular view of development.

The other bit of things is that HG+ kids with a life-threatening, intermittent condition like this tend to have a MUCH better sense of "perspective" than their peers. They are seriously world-weary by the time they are adolescents, and may have limited patience for normative "concerns" that their peers (even bright ones) express.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    HK, our situation is different, but I see this collection of issues clear as day here too. It produces a remarkable young-old soul.

P
    P
    Well said HK and ITA, with one exception - I've seen much of the same happen in young food allergic children who are *not* HG/+... I think sometimes we adults underestimate the depths of feeling, intuition, and connections that all young children are able to make.

polarbear

Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM