Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 31 of 35 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
    V
    V
    Thank you so much for the information!

L
    L
    After much procrastination, we turned in DS application this month. I'm wondering if anyone knows - can a child be turned down for membership if they have met the minimum scores and the test is valid (full report, qualified professional, within the timeline)? Also, if the committee requires additional information, will that be asked during the month or at the end of the review period (pushing the decision to the following month)? I keep checking my email in case there are more questions. I am not getting an awful lot done this month smile

G
    G
    Originally Posted by lmb123
    I'm wondering if anyone knows - can a child be turned down for membership if they have met the minimum scores and the test is valid (full report, qualified professional, within the timeline)?
    I think they can be turned down, but from the impression I've gotten, that's pretty rare.

E
    E
    Also, if the committee requires additional information, will that be asked during the month or at the end of the review period (pushing the decision to the following month)?

My experience is that you probably won't hear anything until the last business day of the month, and that it is very unlikely that there will be any questions if you have qualifying scores.

L
    L
    Thank you for your replies George C and ElizabethN.

S
    S
    Hi all. N00b here. Got a question or two.

So, in March my 5yo received the Woodcock-Johnson assessment that's listed under Option 2 of the Davidson criteria. (He's a 2E. This was part of his SpEd re-eval.) Later, another parent mentioned the Davidson program to me. I looked into it, and I see that my son's results qualify him under the Option 2 criteria.

But even though the criteria say I can submit something from Option 1 OR something from Option 2, and I don't need to send any supplementary material if I don't want to, I get the impression that one achievement test may not be sufficient for the DYS deciders. Am I wrong? Can I just send in the full W-J test report and proceed to wait to hear? If not, what else should I include in order to improve my son's chances?

L
    L
    Hi Skepchick,

Let me see if I can help. Davidson seems to periodically revise their criteria. Not too long ago they made a pretty major revision that allowed someone to essentially submit IQ OR achievement equivalents instead of IQ AND achievement equivalents. You may be referring to the old criteria. It's important to note, though, that if you are now using achievement results only, I believe that a child needs to qualify in 2 areas (not just one; carefully reviewing the current criteria is key). I'm not sure if this helps, but please feel free to ask if you need more help! Best wishes!

G
    G
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    It's important to note, though, that if you are now using achievement results only, I believe that a child needs to qualify in 2 areas (not just one; carefully reviewing the current criteria is key).
    One achievement test with 2 indices (in the WJ case, 145 or above) is sufficient to meet the current minimum qualification criteria (2 of Broad Math, Broad Reading, Broad Written Language, or Total Achievement).

Q
    Q
    After much procrastination, we turned in DS application this month. I'm wondering if anyone knows - can a child be turned down for membership if they have met the minimum scores and the test is valid (full report, qualified professional, within the timeline)? Also, if the committee requires additional information, will that be asked during the month or at the end of the review period (pushing the decision to the following month)? I keep checking my email in case there are more questions. I am not getting an awful lot done this month smile

I believe that an applicant probably can be turned down for membership even if they meet the minimum but that it would be increasing unlikely the further their scores are from the minimum. Why else would it be a minimum and why would Davidson not offer automatic acceptances otherwise? However, I think that it is far more likely that Davidson will request work product samples to bolster/supplement a single set of qualifying test scores than outright reject applicants, even if they are just at the minimum. It would not make sense for you to get any "additional information" request from Davidson until around the time that they issue decisions (near end of month) since the request itself is a decision arrived after reviewing your application. Since the committee would then have to review all your supplementary information in view of your existing application, you will unlikely get a final decision until the next round of decisions. I think that is especially true now since the membership has expanded so much just in the years (~ 4-5) since my first DYS joined.

Disclaimer: Although I have two kids who are DYS members, I am really applying common sense more than anything. However, I am not employed by Davidson or qualified to speak for them so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Good luck and try to forget about the whole thing until the end of June! By the way, both of my DYS received their acceptance emails about five days before the end of the month, around the 25th/26th, but you should hear by the last day certainly.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 05/27/16 02:37 PM.
    Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by Skepchick
    Hi all. N00b here. Got a question or two.

So, in March my 5yo received the Woodcock-Johnson assessment that's listed under Option 2 of the Davidson criteria. (He's a 2E. This was part of his SpEd re-eval.) Later, another parent mentioned the Davidson program to me. I looked into it, and I see that my son's results qualify him under the Option 2 criteria.

But even though the criteria say I can submit something from Option 1 OR something from Option 2, and I don't need to send any supplementary material if I don't want to, I get the impression that one achievement test may not be sufficient for the DYS deciders. Am I wrong? Can I just send in the full W-J test report and proceed to wait to hear? If not, what else should I include in order to improve my son's chances?

Where do you get the impression that one achievement test may not be sufficient? I think that you can just apply with the one report and worse case scenario Davidson will let you know if they want more. I don't think that you would get an outright rejection if you have qualifying scores. A number of posters on this forum over the years were given a chance to submit supplementary documentation even though the scores fell below the minimum. However, for your peace of mind and to avoid potential delay, you can always send in some supplementary documentation (other 99.9 percentile test scores, writing samples, videos, etc.) if you can gather them quickly, assuming that you are after a quick acceptance.

Page 31 of 35 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM