Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 260 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    bluemagic #192770 05/29/14 04:28 PM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    BTW where you went to school can help GET the interview in the first place.

I would say this is the case with Microsoft & the UW. The geographical distance (< 10 miles) means it's easier to network, and students who are already familiar with the area are probably more likely to apply.

And FWIW, both Bill Gates and Paul Allen have strong family relationships with the University, and have donated a lot of money to the UW for various causes (and I can think of at least 4 buildings on campus named for a Gates or an Allen--and their family relationships go back to the 60s and 70s). So I wouldn't be surprised if there has historically been a tendency to look toward the UW for new recruits. There's a whole network of personal and community relationships at play.

On an aside, I would be interested in knowing how Amazon, which is also a major Seattle IT employer, compares.

Last edited by Aufilia; 05/29/14 04:28 PM.
    bluemagic #192771 05/29/14 04:29 PM
    Originally Posted by Aufilia
    Stanford is one of the college that has also been in the news lately for innovating its computer science program in ways that have greatly increased the number of women taking CS classes. It's clearly going to be much easier to produce more CS graduates qualified to work in technology fields when you develop attitudes and environments that more strongly appeal to both genders.
    Harvey Mudd is another great school for women and engineering. Saw an article just a few days about about this. Harvey Mudd's President is awesome and really takes this seriously. Of course Mudd is even harder to get into than Standford.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...e-College-Is-Closing-The-Tech-Gender-Gap

It's not, actually.

(Harder to get into, I mean)

Stanford's acceptances were lower this year than (gulp) MIT's.

Mudd runs about 15-20% acceptance, which is easily double what Stanford and MIT accept.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Bostonian #192775 05/29/14 05:27 PM
    I
    I
    I think Mudd accepted 13% this year (D2 just finished a fantastic freshman year there). Stanford accepted 5.02% this year. Howlerkarma is correct. I have to say, she wouldn't trade for Stanford or any other school in the country, it is perfect for her.

HowlerKarma #192776 05/29/14 05:38 PM
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Originally Posted by Aufilia
    Stanford is one of the college that has also been in the news lately for innovating its computer science program in ways that have greatly increased the number of women taking CS classes. It's clearly going to be much easier to produce more CS graduates qualified to work in technology fields when you develop attitudes and environments that more strongly appeal to both genders.
    Harvey Mudd is another great school for women and engineering. Saw an article just a few days about about this. Harvey Mudd's President is awesome and really takes this seriously. Of course Mudd is even harder to get into than Standford.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...e-College-Is-Closing-The-Tech-Gender-Gap

It's not, actually.

(Harder to get into, I mean)

Stanford's acceptances were lower this year than (gulp) MIT's.

Mudd runs about 15-20% acceptance, which is easily double what Stanford and MIT accept.
    Doesn't Harvey Mudd have slightly higher SAT and ACT scores for accepted students than Stanford?

Maybe prospective Stanford applicants should exercise better self-selection.

Bostonian #192777 05/29/14 05:38 PM
    Z
    Z
    And Forbes had an article that had a computer science major from Carnegie-Mellon having the best average starting income of anywhere in any field (btw, they use Java for their intro class, or Java plus Alice for the non majors; it was Pascal when I went.) And for the full range, worth mentioning that MIT uses Python.

Oddly enough my son was asking about the best math undergrad schools at dinner today, I guessed Harvard and Cambridge. Time to search around and see if I'll need pedaoralectomy for my guess.

Bostonian #192779 05/29/14 05:46 PM
    B
    B
    Did you mean MIT for Cambridge? Both Harvard and MIT are in Cambridge and so are a number of other universities.

Off the top of my head for math Princeton, UC Berkley, Stanford, Columbia. Again I'm not sure I'd put Harvard at the top of the list. Another good school for Computer Science is U. of Illinois Champagne/Urbana. What I think of Harvard as being the best for is subjects like Politics.

Edited to add.. Just looked up a list for math. OK Harvard & MIT are both near the top. And I forgot Carnegie Mellon, Yale, UCLA and Cal Tech.

Last edited by bluemagic; 05/29/14 05:49 PM.
    Bostonian #192780 05/29/14 06:00 PM
    Z
    Z
    Cambridge, as in University of Cambridge across the pond.

Funny the lists haven't much changed in thirty years. U of I for CS was my second pick.

Bostonian #192781 05/29/14 06:14 PM
    I was surprised when I went looking at top math schools, actually-- Princeton and UCB, of course, I expected. Cambridge, naturally...

I didn't expect schools like UW and UBC to crack the top 25 internationally, though.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Bostonian #192784 05/29/14 07:33 PM
    B
    B
    I was thinking in the U.S. Of course Cambridge, what was I thinking. University of Chicago for math as well. Asked my DH and he said Harvard is one of the top places for math, and in the top for CS but not top 5.

bluemagic #192807 05/30/14 05:48 AM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    BTW where you went to school can help GET the interview in the first place.
    Where a company recruits may indicate what schools it values most. When I look up where Microsoft has recruiting events in Massachusetts http://careers.microsoft.com/careers/en/us/recruiting-events.aspx I see Harvard, Olin, and MIT, all highly selective. Nothing at UMass Amherst, the state flagship. In California it has events at many schools, including some less prestigious ones. Maybe a "name" school helps you get noticed by companies that are far away. I understand that the lack of on-campus recruiting is a surmountable hurdle and am sure that there are UMass Amherst graduates at Microsoft.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM