Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by tallulah
    I don't think anyone could argue that lawyering and banking are unique skills, but they're [SPAM] highly compensated.

I'll bite. Good, effective, knowledgeable lawyers and bankers are unique and can create substantial economic value. It takes a lot of skill, experience, dedication, and interpersonal skills to turn one of those professions into a successful, long-term career, especially at the international level. Just like with any knowledge-based industry, people at the forefront have to be innovators and effective leaders, and those skills certainly aren't abundant when you've already whittled down the field to folks who:

A) Have (a) relevant degree(s) and knowledge (CAUTION: credentials =/= knowledge!)
    B) Are socially adept, particularly in environments filled with hostile personalities
    C) Are willing to work 90+ hour weeks for the rest of their lives
    I agree with most of what aquinas wrote about law and finance, but one reason to work long hours in these fields in your 20s and 30s is to be able to retire or at least downshift in your 40s. Also, the hours of traders (as opposed to bankers) are usually not that long in my experience. Shortly after the markets close, they go home.

The hours can still be brutal into your 40s and beyond, you just get more control over when you work your (now) 70-80+ hours. But I agree.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    VR00 #192515 05/27/14 01:13 PM
    I once heard someone from the so-called elite upper class refer to people who aren't able to live to a high standard without working as "self-feeders".

We are poor if held to that criteria.

DS has asked if we are rich and I've explained where we stand in the United States, both in this century and as compared to centuries past. Then we went on to talk about where we stand as compared to the billions on the planet today.

It opened up some interesting conversation about the worth of wealth in a person's life. He realized that a person can have monetary wealth yet be poor.

ljoy #248157 03/03/21 08:25 AM
    I
    I
    ljoy, here is a video of the book you recommended, The Table Where Rich People Sit, being read aloud:

"The Table Where Rich People Sit"
    written by Byrd Baylor
    illustrated by Peter Parnall
    copyright 1994
    posted to the YouTube channel of Sol Stories
    on May 4, 2020

Amazon link - https://www.amazon.com/Table-Where-People-Aladdin-Picture/dp/0689820089

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM