Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I recently posted in this forum about Math Learning "Gaps". The background is that my DS10, 6th grade, was just given a test to assess his competency in the 7th grade Accelerated honors class, that combines 7th/8th grade Math in one year, which is followed by 8th grade honors math (Algebra I) the following year. The reason for this test was to see if the Accelerated 7/8 class would be the right fit for next year when he enters 7th grade.

Results are in, and he has a grade of 84 in the 7th grade part, and a grade of 56 in the 8th grade part. Without any preparation or instruction he already "knows" the 7th grade part.

The school is offering me the option of "summer school" for him, ONE-ON-ONE, to fill in the gaps that he doesn't know in the 8th grade material. The goal being to prepare him to take 8th grade Honors Math (Algebra I) in September when he enters 7th grade.

If he does well in the summer tutoring, and is well prepared to enter 8th grade honors math, he would skip over the Accelerated 7/8 class. 8th grade honors math is Algebra I for 8th grade students.

The teacher who administered the assessment test this week is "hesitant", I was told. She said to make sure "mom knows this is a rigorous class!"

Again, school has never done this before. Uncharted territory, guidance counselor told me.

Need your ideas to help me know if this is good for my son. How do I present this option to him? HELP...

Val Offline
    I'd present it to him honestly and matter-of-factly.

IMO, it seems like the school is trying pretty hard to accommodate him. Summer math at school may not be a lot of fun, but I would look at it as a choice between a few hours of that per week and an entire year of material that he seems to know pretty well.

ITA with Val. Just give him his options and let him decide. He should have no problem filling in the gaps and it would be so much better to get individual math attention (!) for a few hours this summer than to sit through next year when he wouldn't be learning anything new until three-fourths of the way through. BTW: the hesitant teacher is basing her nervousness on her experience with NT kids. This is a chance for her eyes to be opened that some kids can handle and, will in fact love, the fast-paced challenging curriculum, even though they are young and accelerated.

She thought she could, so she did.
    R
    R
    Can you do math at home in the summer and retest in August? That could be a good in between option.

S
    S
    If he is reluctant can you follow some of the math sessions with something fun? Library trip to a big downtown branch, trip to a fun pool, bike ride, museum, picnic in a state park...have that day's surprise activity in a little envelop for him to open when he gets in the car....what are we going to do today Pherb?

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by raptor_dad
    Can you do math at home in the summer and retest in August? That could be a good in between option.

Actually, I would see the school's offer as a potentially wonderful opportunity. How often does a gifted student get one-on-one tutoring at school? Not to mention mnmom23's observation that the teacher may also learn about the capabilities of HG+ kids.

N
    N
    I wouldn't hesitate to do that. Far better to have a few hours over the summer than a year of stuff he already mostly knows, and then he'll have a good class in the fall.

DS11 in 7th grade this year had 8th math for the first half of the year and then we moved him into e-school Algebra I for the second semester, and he didn't even blink at starting in the middle of the year for that class.

M
    M
    Does he like math? I think its a great option for a kid who enjoys math and would enjoy the challenge of a harder course. If he's not as interested, I wouldn't push it as he probably wouldn't integrate the material, thus struggling more next year and enjoying math less in the future.

C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    He has loved math until they stopped challenging him.. We dont do it at home but he has been asking to learn algebra for long time. I am not sure how he should be assessed as summer progresses. How do we know if his mastery is on schedule as it goes, how to tell if he will enter algebra in September well prepared. Am I supposed d to bring ideas for that?

B
    B
    From what I remember he has already skipped a grade right? So he is already a year younger than his peers.

The teachers always tell you that the Algebra I class is a rigorous class and try and scare you. I think you and your son need to decide if he wants to spend the summer working on the gaps, and get to be in Algebra next year. You need buy in from him. My guess is you can tell the school you want to do the Algebra class, but if the summer tutoring doesn't work out. That you can switch back to the lower 7/8th grade class. It's usually easier to move to a lower level that get pushed up higher.

Good Luck.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM