Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 155 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    W
    W
    Here's what I'd do. I'd play detective for my own family tree and I would trace every characteristic that you are certain that you have back to the people you are the most genetically linked to.

For example, my biological father is a natural at mathematics and does not care at all about spelling. He went into a job where everything is abbreviated anyway; no one in that job was spelling.

Tests always have their limitations; test administrators have their limitations. For example, my child does not technically score the way I'd expect for speed processing. Yet, I know the strength of the speed processing without the test because I eye-witness the speed of the child and standardized tests have a timing element, so, in order to ace standardized tests you can calculate the speed of the child. How many questions were answered correctly and how many minutes did it take the child. So, I know there is something wrong with the speed processing test or administrator or both, and when the time is right (say to help another family) I will try to explain it. The schools get so touchy; they don't really want to know their short-comings. It is very different than for-profit businesses who hopefully understand you need feedback for whatever is not working.

Thank goodness and your good self, you survived it. I wonder if maybe you may have been needing the college setting early on. (Something to think about if you decide to have a child.)
    Also, don't forget to check in on nieces / nephews / cousins. You might be able to help another family member by saving them from what you went through.

P
    P
    There is a table somewhere showing average IQ in each professional group. I think high 120's was the average for a lot of them.

Z
    Z
    I'd highly suggest reading the book: The Dyslexic Advantage

My son gets mispronunciations almost perfectly stuck in his head. One tool I've found is laughter to work on unwriting some of these as there is some indication laughter unhinges false wiring. But when your brain is forest-wired rather than tree-wired stuff like mispronouncing come from a bunch of connected things summing together to create an answer rather than one fixed memory. You may be able to reconnect by grabbing a dictionary and reading aloud similar words where you have the right pronunciation.

Well over forty and I've never learned to tie my shoes right consistently, though a picture of it and the principle of the opposing strings help me think through the right way. (thank you velcro)

D
    D

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM