Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 377 guests, and 39 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    PCV Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hello all. I have a 9-year old PG homeschooled son that is very keen on biology and chemistry and has completed all middle school material for these two subjects. Can anyone recommend any online science learning program or platform he can do from home? I'm desperate for something.

Thanks!
    TwotoTango in Texas

G
    G
    They don't really exist. See a recent thread started by DeeDee. I've also called the admissions office at my alma mater figuring they'd have seen a significant number of examples of people with similar problems, and they were clear - they interpret online science at the high school level as the student knowing a low level of the content, but generally without a quality experience in intellectual engagement. They recommend JC classes, intense summer experiences through gifted centers, or an informal research experience with a practicing scientist.

Z
    Z
    Is he unschooling or are you looking for curriculum?

Chemistry and biology have a ton of interesting self-exploration resources out there (I'm a huge fan of self instruction.) Instructional videos are hit and miss, my DS8 when doing his own explorations will search for videos and screen them for whether he likes the depth and detail. When he hits a lecturer he likes he'll watch a number of their videos.

For some intuitive experimental stuff:
    "Foldit" is a protein folding simulator where solving the folding of proteins is crowdsourced (lots of subtle deep learning here)

On the iPad, "Chemist-Virtual Chem Lab" has a tremendous range of chemicals and interactions available for experimenting.

Can't go wrong with a weekly subscription to "ScienceNews" as articles can easily springboard thinking/researching into other topics.

For some crazy stuff, the Youtube channel "VSauce" has some really neat probative science stuff. Sometimes it leans a little old, but neat ideas.

I
    I
    When parents are desperate for new material for their kids, there is often something available. While individual resources may not comprise a curriculum per se, any of these may help launch further independent study and/or aid in identifying an area of particular interest.

Have you checked the Gifted Homeschooler's Forum?
    http://giftedhomeschoolers.org/resources/favorite-things/favorite-things-science/

Has your son done dissections?
    The Carolina company has some interesting kits/specimens.

A book which may be of interest is Campbell's Biology (a recommended text for high school AP Bio).

There are a number of virtual science labs found online, including the Y Science Laboratories by BYU/Pearson.

Hippocampus has interesting lessons, as does Khan Academy.

Neuroscience For Kids may also be of interest. Families may sign up for their newsletter.

M
    M
    supercharged science is online and from what I have seen it's great for kids as they get to watch and do on their own with the guidance of seeing it as well.

It looks very in-depth as well in terms of what they cover.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM