Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 45 of 102 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 101 102
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    When DS6 plays Othello for the first time and beats me in 3 out of 4 games. It is so embarrassing to get soundly beat by a first grader. I am afraid to play games with him. It hurts my ego! Lol!

Welcome to my world. wink There aren't many games anyone in the family can reliably beat DS6 at. I mean, he does lose sometimes, of course, but he wins more often than any of us at everything, and dominates at certain games (as in, there is NO point my playing chess with him). It's freaky.

I mean, I'd beat him at Scrabble, Bananagrams, or Trivial Pursuit, but that hardly seems fair. Or wait. Maybe it IS!

Oh yeah this is us too! For now I still beat DD7 at Scrabble but everything else … no way. We're about even in chess (but DH still beats both of us). Lucky I'm such a good sport!
    She played her very first game of Monopoly the other week and DH was being overly nice to her at first until she totally creamed us. Next game we decided no more Mr Nice Guy but still she beat us.
    She now has her own specific victory whoop for Monopoly smile lol

M
    M
    your child's music teacher says this about signing up your DD to a summer music camp:

"I think the experience would be great for her and I bet she'd have a lot of fun but placement is going to be a problem. She belongs with older students who are at her level wherever that might be in 2 months but she's not mature enough to be with them. Yet she'd be bored if they put her with little children who are not ready to learn to read music. Let me talk to the program director and see if we can solve this problem together."

I love her optimism. smile

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Mana
    your child's music teacher says this about signing up your DD to a summer music camp:

"I think the experience would be great for her and I bet she'd have a lot of fun but placement is going to be a problem. She belongs with older students who are at her level wherever that might be in 2 months but she's not mature enough to be with them. Yet she'd be bored if they put her with little children who are not ready to learn to read music. Let me talk to the program director and see if we can solve this problem together."

I love her optimism. smile

That's a big YAY! What an amazing music teacher! laugh

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    When your 7 year old cuddles his stuffed monster and baby blanket while reading John Emsley's book on the elements: Nature's Building Blocks: An A-Z Guide to the Elements

When your child gets excited by a newly discovered super-heavy element and suggests to name it after his first grade teacher.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    When your 7 year old cuddles his stuffed monster and baby blanket while reading John Emsley's book on the elements: Nature's Building Blocks: An A-Z Guide to the Elements

When your child gets excited by a newly discovered super-heavy element and suggests to name it after his first grade teacher.

Those are awesome! Also when your 9 year old can describe different theories explaining black wholes but can't remember to pick up her dirty clothes from the bathroom floor and put them in the hamper on the way out the bathroom door.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Madoosah

She really is an amazing teacher and a wonderful person. smile Both DD and I look forward to seeing her every week. It's nice to work with a teacher who actually understands your child. Knowing that DD is receiving meaningful musical education makes the prospect of homeschooling a little less daunting.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Mana
    Originally Posted by Madoosah

She really is an amazing teacher and a wonderful person. smile Both DD and I look forward to seeing her every week. It's nice to work with a teacher who actually understands your child. Knowing that DD is receiving meaningful musical education makes the prospect of homeschooling a little less daunting.

It's exactly how we feel about our awesome music teacher! She teaches several kids (And adults) in our homeschool/unschool group so she comes to my place once a week for a morning and we all have our lessons with her. She stood by us through all of Aiden's anxiety etc as he came out of school... I love that she is able to adapt her teaching to each of my three kids needs and abilities and strengths.

Originally Posted by Cassmo451

Those are awesome! Also when your 9 year old can describe different theories explaining black wholes but can't remember to pick up her dirty clothes from the bathroom floor and put them in the hamper on the way out the bathroom door.

laugh Sounds like your DD and my DS would understand each other completely! My husband told me he came out into the kitchen the other morning wanting to discuss his curved space theory. He was supposed to be getting dressed for the day and apparently decided to change a part of his theory (number 14, on paper). He was so engrossed he came out with only his t-shirt on, sans pants and undies. He was oblivious. (rolling my eyes, and smiling) He's obsessed with this A Capella Science YouTube.

Did she see the Time Magazine on sale showcasing Einstein?

Last edited by Ametrine; 05/16/14 11:16 AM. Reason: added question
    M
    M
    loving the space/astronomy stories!!

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Cassmo451

laugh Sounds like your DD and my DS would understand each other completely! My husband told me he came out into the kitchen the other morning wanting to discuss his curved space theory. He was supposed to be getting dressed for the day and apparently decided to change a part of his theory (number 14, on paper). He was so engrossed he came out with only his t-shirt on, sans pants and undies. He was oblivious. (rolling my eyes, and smiling) He's obsessed with this A Capella Science YouTube.

Did she see the Time Magazine on sale showcasing Einstein?

Not yet but she once told me that she felt Einstein was over-rated and that everyone LOVES Einstein. She said, "You know there are other guys, like DaVinci and Isaac Newton, that did some cool stuff. Why don't we ever hear more about them?" But I was thinking about getting it for her anyway.
    But I did get her the latest copy of Astronomy that has a small article about finding new planets in other solar system, which is something that she asked me about one day. It's the one that has the "Weird Moons of the Solar System."
    and I will have to look into that youtube you suggested.

Last edited by Cassmo451; 05/16/14 05:51 PM.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    Page 45 of 102 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM