Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 46 of 102 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 101 102
    Originally Posted by Cassmo451
    she felt Einstein was over-rated and that everyone LOVES Einstein. She said, "You know there are other guys, like DaVinci and Isaac Newton, that did some cool stuff. Why don't we ever hear more about them?"

You should put her onto Paul Dirac. By some estimates at least as brilliant and influential as Einstein, but not not as much of a showman, so not in the public consciousness.

Not yet but she once told me that she felt Einstein was over-rated and that everyone LOVES Einstein. She said, "You know there are other guys, like DaVinci and Isaac Newton, that did some cool stuff. Why don't we ever hear more about them?" But I was thinking about getting it for her anyway.
    But I did get her the latest copy of Astronomy that has a small article about finding new planets in other solar system, which is something that she asked me about one day. It's the one that has the "Weird Moons of the Solar System."
    and I will have to look into that youtube you suggested.

Introduce her to Nikola Tesla. grin

Last edited by Minx; 05/16/14 06:55 PM.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    You should put her onto Paul Dirac. By some estimates at least as brilliant and influential as Einstein, but not not as much of a showman, so not in the public consciousness.

And quite the role model for the 2E types.

C
    C
    I was reading the thread and read the complaint about Einstein and laughed because DS7 has had the same comment but used Tesla and Newton. Then I got to Minx's comment and lol.... only on a gifted board.

The planet one reminded me of a trip to our Aviation and Space museum when DS was 5. They have a toy/play area for younger kids which had all of the planets hanging in no particular order. DS walked in looked up for 2 seconds and said "They're missing Neptune." Sure enough they were (of course it took me MUCH longer to verify that was the case).

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Portia
    old story...

when you take your 4 year old to a "Welcome to the School Event". The mother of the child sitting at the table with you begins to brag that her child can name all 9 planets. (Yes, after Pluto was demoted). Then proceeds to have him name them.

The only thing I could think was "Wow!". Then "Uh-Oh!"

Oh boy! I hear you! smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    #1:

At our aquarium there is a remote controlled model of a great white shark biting a ball. DS is a bit intimidated by it, but he knows it can't hurt him. As he goes to pull the lever to activate the shark, he gives himself this pep talk: "It's just a machine, it's not autonomous, it will only do what I make it do. It has no independent programming or artificial intelligence. It can't make autonomous decisions." The father of a child standing nearby overhears this and gives me a bemused look.

#2:
    DS is reading the signs out loud at the pharmacy. The pharmacist asks how old he is and says her 5yo is just starting to read. I still have no idea how to respond.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Portia
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    #2:
    DS is reading the signs out loud at the pharmacy. The pharmacist asks how old he is and says her 5yo is just starting to read. I still have no idea how to respond.

You get very excited that another person is discovering reading - no matter what the age. It is an exciting time in that person's life (even if the person is 60!)

I love it! That's perfect!

M
    M
    Ditto on being excited for them - any a-ha! discovery in a person's life is cause for celebration smile

At Tae Kwon Do last week some of the moms were asking me about Life of Fred and maths books (they are all customers by now of course)... The one mom leans over consiratorially and tells me that she thinks her son is a "bit of a maths genius". He is now 6, started 1st grade in January and somehow knows that 4 + 5 = 9.. "without using his fingers!! Isn't that amazing? How can I nurture this incredible talent?"

I really did not know how to answer, because my 3 year old can do that... So I did exactly as suggested above and got excited over her child realising that numbers can work together even without a concrete counting tool.

Unfortunately then my 5 year old ran up for his water break and said that he got distracted in class because he was trying to work out how to multiply big numbers by 5 like his big brother does, and that he knows he has to halve it somewhere but can't remember where.

Want to talk about an awkward silence filling the space...

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Madoosa
    Unfortunately then my 5 year old ran up for his water break and said that he got distracted in class because he was trying to work out how to multiply big numbers by 5 like his big brother does, and that he knows he has to halve it somewhere but can't remember where.

Want to talk about an awkward silence filling the space...

ooh poor you, Madoosa! I can JUST imagine the awkwardness!

M
    M
    haha. This happened yesterday at church.

I was walking past the nursery area where Dylan goes. The teacher said so sweetly, Dylan can you sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? And he sang it with the Note Names. (thanks Suzuki)

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Page 46 of 102 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM