Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    M
    M
    cool thanks!! laugh

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    W
    W
    With mathematics, like with any subject matter, for me, what is important for a gifted person, is depth as well as breadth. The depth part is the so satisfying. You almost get a chance to feel like, "What was that person working on when they discovered a theorem?"

This week we looked at the formula for the volume of a cone and pyramid as always being one-third of that of a cylinder and rectangular prism, respectively, given the same dimensions. But, the materials do not tell the student who discovered that and how. So, if we have time we can look it up on our own. Was there a sculpture and they chiseled it and took the measurements? We don't know.

So, for any class, I would look at the materials. Estimate how much time the child will spend with that book that semester. Look at the entire schedule, figure out sleep requirements. (My child debates me about sleep. So, it is on our list to read the latest sleep studies.)

Then, figure out what your goal is. For me personally, I think of that time with a book as my chance to absorb that book and possibly never read it again. I would love to have time to reread everything that I want, but days go incredibly fast.

I am always thinking about a model where you have these great materials from a young age and you study them for years instead of semesters.

The other point is how good is your memory. This generation seems to be under the impression, because of their technology, that they can look everything up when they want to. But, in the course of a day, if the info. you need is in a digital book and not in your head, will you have time to look everything up? I don't think so. So, I always throw in the possibility of solar flares that take away our technology of today and put us back to doing things with our brains as the spell-checker and calculator and grammar-expert, etc.

Really try to get in touch with your feelings. Some people say that if it feels too daunting, they have to do it. Some people say that if you are waking up concerned, then it's a no-go.

I wouldn't get so hung up on grades; it's more about enjoying the learning and keeping your level of balance.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Wesupportgifted
    This week we looked at the formula for the volume of a cone and pyramid as always being one-third of that of a cylinder and rectangular prism, respectively, given the same dimensions. But, the materials do not tell the student who discovered that and how. So, if we have time we can look it up on our own. Was there a sculpture and they chiseled it and took the measurements? We don't know.

I'd love to see a non-calculus explanation for the 1/3 formula. (It comes from integrating x^2.) DS's k12.com course showed a cube split into 3 congruent pyramids, but that approach doesn't extend to other cones.

Q
    Q
    Actually, this is a huge accommodation on the part of your school. He didn't pass the test and they offered to let him in anyway and provide tutoring to make sure that he was ready. All I can say is WOW.

We are in a relatively enlightened district and my 5th grader has been accelerated twice (mid-2nd grade and beginning 4th grade) so that he recently finished Algebra I. However, he had to pass everything and then some.

For what it is worth, I don't think that Algebra I in 7th grade would be a problem. The issue is whether your DS is willing to put in the time commitment and be subject to this constraint over the summer. I would not oversell it because it is crucial that he is fully bought in, particularly in the event of difficulties down the road (whether academic or otherwise). While it is huge that the school is offering free tutoring, you may also want to consider whether your DS might prefer to catch up in his own way. I know that were my DS in that type of situation, he would balk at the proposal but he would be perfectly willing to catch up on his own. On the other hand, I also have a DD who clearly could have accelerated a year (into pre-algebra as a 5th grader) but declined partly because she didn't have a passion for math and didn't want to be out of the regular flow with her friends. My point is simply that it is important to listen to your DS and do what he wants. Good luck!

Last edited by Quantum2003; 05/16/14 10:06 AM.
    C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    I don't think that Algebra I in 7th grade would be a problem. The issue is whether your DS is willing to put in the time commitment and be subject to this constraint over the summer. I would not oversell it because it is crucial that he is fully bought in, particularly in the event of difficulties down the road (whether academic or otherwise).
    We still don't know how much time/days is required over the summer. They will keep me informed. Nothing's in writing yet. Is this an example of an IEP? They haven't used this term but I've seen it on this forum.

Without overselling it my son is inclined to do this... I told him that his test grades indicate he knows the 7th grade material already, but not the 8th, because he hasn't been taught. But if he does the 8th grade gaps in summer he could learn Algebra in the fall. He just wants to know how many hours/days of summer are required. Me too.

So I am sitting tight waiting for summer specifics to give them a decision from my son.

M
    M
    Good job keeping your kid in the conversation. I hope he does it and all goes great.
    My ds 11 5th grade has and will participate in several weeks of math camps during the summer and does not seem to mind at all.
    Doing things like this makes them kind of fearless when it comes to trying new things.
    I also give a bit WOW to the school.

Last edited by mecreature; 05/19/14 04:56 AM.
    C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    The school wants to have a meeting with me Friday, to talk about this plan to give him the 8th grade material in the summer. Principal, math coordinator, guidance counselor.. We'll all get questions answered and discuss the logistics. Should be very productive. Quite honestly I am surprised that they are willing to try this. I will update after the meeting...thank you everyone for all feedback! Makes this so much easier.

D
    D
    My daughter (whose strongest subject and passion is NOT math) skipped 6th, did no work over that summer, then did well enough in 7th to move up to coordinate algebra which actually goes on HS transcript. The summer before algebra she filled in some gaps with a boy from her grade who is a math whiz, I think she met with him 4 or 5 times. There were lots of tears when she didn't understand immediately. But today she was one of a few kids (in a large school with a high percentage of gifted kids and lots of great math students) to get a math award at the 8th grade ceremony. So, honestly--I bet he will do just fine. I know your son would be doing algebra a year earlier, but anecdotally it seems to me that these kids rise to the challenge. And it certainly helped my daughter to practice some persistance. Good luck!

D
    D
    I would also say--it is much better for him to learn new study skills now than when he gets to college.

C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I agree. He NEEDS to feel strive and work to master something difficult academically. Otherwise he won't know how to organize and plan during HS AP and college. I read once, a wise woman who had famous techniques and approaches to child rearing...said "Start as you mean to go on". I think we might apply this to their education, too.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM