Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My DS10, who is currently in 5th grade doing 6th grade math, will be taking a placement test to take Algebra 1 in the fall. At our school that means he would "running out" of math after his sophomore year of taking AP Calculus (AB?). When the school brings this up as a reason not to teach him at his level now, what can I tell him are some options for his last two years of school? We are at a tiny school and he will be the only kid in his grade who is even accelerated at all, We live in a small town with only a community college and the nearest college and university are an hour away. The public schools around here offer nothing higher than Calculus AB. Are there homeschool options or online options at that level that might work? I know of other students who have partially homeschooled at our school and received credit, so I don't think there would be a problem with them accepting out-of-school math options if necessary. Anyone ever done college courses via distance learning or will I likely have to drive him to a college? Just trying to get my ducks in order. TIA.

She thought she could, so she did.
    Val Offline
    There are lots of accredited online options (Johns Hopkins CTY, for example). Community Colleges tend to have a large offering of math courses (statistics, linear algebra, Calc 2, intermediate calculus, etc.). Do students from the local high school take courses at the college in your town? Dual enrollment is common, and students from the high school already take courses there, all you have to say is, "We can address this question when he's in tenth grade; dual enrollment seems to be the most obvious option." Saying this doesn't mean you're committed; it just means that you've offered an easy solution if they tell you he'll run out of math classes.

B
    B
    My son's school offers both AP Statistics and AP Computer Science. These are the courses they suggest to the students who have finished with Calculus before their senior year. (We have a lot who take BC Calc junior year.) I would check out your community college, mine offers Multi-variable Calc, linear algebra, and Differential Equations. You can probably find any of these courses offered at an online school/college.

Z
    Z
    Just last night, DS8 was telling me his plans for not running out of math on a grade by grade level. He has himself taking differential equations in 10th grade and has a particular interest in Lie Theory because of seeing a book on it when exploring a university library a month ago. We don't know if it will happen at the state math high school, locally with dual enrollment, through some online program or what, but "running out of math" isn't going to happen. If school were able to tie his hands and restrict his access, then getting bored and fed up and giving up on math could happen.

P
    P
    Online courses are definitely becoming more popular. Some districts also offer dual-enrollment so the kids can take some classes at local colleges. Some community colleges also allow high school students to take courses and this doesn't have to be arranged through the school district. You will need to make sure with your school that they accept credits such courses.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM