ARGGGG.... That was a frustrating meeting. It was also really intimidating meeting for both of us. I tried to calm him down about it last night giving him a bit of detail. But he was right and I was wrong. Most of his teachers were there and went over what problems he was having in their class. I had a bit of a shock and most teachers brought up a not turing in homework problem that I haven't seen reflected in his online grades. and The teachers left after 25 minutes to go back to class and left us with the vice principal, counselor, two resource teachers, school psychologist, and the speech and language teacher in the room. Still and intimating group. What was helpful was my son connected with one of the resource teachers.

Short explanation for those who missed previous posts. DS is a 15 year old high school freshman. Clearly gifted but under performing and having total blocks with his writing. Thus his grades have dropped and he is getting B's & C's in his classes rather than A & B's and is being dropped from the honors English/Social Studies classes.

I did get SOME headway, but not as much as I wanted. It seems that the policy & procedures are that they can't start an official testing until after a second STD meeting, that can't take place till 8 weeks after the first. Given that there is only 6 weeks left in the school year this can't take place till the beginning of next year in September. To do any testing, we have to show little or no progress despite the plan we put into place today.

So that meant we needed a PLAN. The meeting focused around three issues his social skills, his study skill, and the "block" he has in getting his idea's out. The school really didn't have any suggestions for what to do about the block. They had lots of suggestions & options to help with the study skills. Lots of students still have study skill issues in 9th grade so they have study skill classes, and lot of advice. The problem is some of the study skill issues have a lot to do with his block. It's not forgetting to do homework, it getting blocked and then not doing it and not asking for help. They also agreed that my son would need BUY IN, or nothing would be successful.

What we did agree were. 1) The counselor will work in August at trying to get him the best "teacher" fit she can. We addressed what types of teachers work best. 2) My son agreed to work with the resource teacher he connected with once a week during "office hours". 3) They though the summer class was a good idea 4) They want him to join a social skills group in the fall. My son doesn't want to do this, but we are asking him to at least meeting with the person who coordinates it. 5) They gave 3 different solutions to work on study skills. No decision has been made, but I expect he will decide on the student contract for the last 6 weeks of the school year, rather than the special "study skills/tutoring" after school class.

Outside of school, I have settled on a meeting with the Education Therapist early next week. This is the plan I have most buy in from my husband, and the most expensive so it's good I have his buy in.

Edited to add that I talked with my son after school and he feels the whole exercise was a waste of time. I didn't sleep well last night, the crazy hot weather didn't help, so I'm really not in the best mood to take this all in till tomorrow.

Last edited by bluemagic; 05/14/14 05:22 PM.