Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 227 of 268 1 2 225 226 227 228 229 267 268
    S
    S
    My son is teaching himself to draw using instruction he finds on the internet. And his interest was sparked by an old sketch book that I gave him. Very similar story to your daughter only he is a lot more willing to put himself out there without worrying about being perfect.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    C
    C
    I have to brag about our schools gifted program and parents. After our wonderful teacher passed away suddenly in the middle of the year we followed through with a plan she had about building a float for our local festival parade. After two months of planning and building, the float took a first place in youth division and we definitely made an impression on our town. We had nearly 40 people, kids and parents, walking with the float. We handed out silicone bracelets, handmade tissue flowers, and candy. It was such a healing process for the kids and parents. It was an awesome day today. And the kids found out just how much of a difference they can make in this town.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    C
    C
    That is something to brag about.

A
    A
    DS2.5 is into auto mechanics lately. Today I built a model with a small and large gear and a flat arm out of cardboard and some nuts and bolts to show DS tangibly how rotary motion can be translated into reciprocating motion and vice versa.

When I asked him if he knew what the arm was, he said without hesitation, "It's a crankshaft." When I asked him how he knew that, he said, "Because I looked at it, thought about it, and figured it out." Um, yes. I actually didn't know the answer (I thought it was "drive shaft"), so I looked it up and saw that, as usual, DS was right.

It took a moment to sink in: my 2-year-old is teaching ME auto mechanics, apparently. I didn't see that coming. Talk about stuff you can't mention on the playground. I am going to be in over my head when he's older...

Last edited by aquinas; 05/13/14 04:47 AM. Reason: Precision

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    DS2.5 is into auto mechanics lately. Today I built a model with a small and large gear and a flat piston out of cardboard and some nuts and bolts to show DS tangibly how rotary motion can be translated into reciprocating motion and vice versa.

When I asked him if he knew what the piston was, he said without hesitation, "It's a crankshaft." When I asked him how he knew that, he said, "Because I looked at it, thought about it, and figured it out." Um, yes. I actually didn't know the answer (I thought it was "drive shaft"), so I looked it up and saw that, as usual, DS was right.

It took a moment to sink in: my 2-year-old is teaching ME auto mechanics, apparently. I didn't see that coming. Talk about stuff you can't mention on the playground. I am going to be in over my head when he's older...

Isn't the crankshaft technically the thing that works the pistons in and out of the cylinder as opposed to being the piston itself?

Become what you are
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    DS2.5 is into auto mechanics lately. Today I built a model with a small and large gear and a flat piston out of cardboard and some nuts and bolts to show DS tangibly how rotary motion can be translated into reciprocating motion and vice versa.

When I asked him if he knew what the piston was, he said without hesitation, "It's a crankshaft." When I asked him how he knew that, he said, "Because I looked at it, thought about it, and figured it out." Um, yes. I actually didn't know the answer (I thought it was "drive shaft"), so I looked it up and saw that, as usual, DS was right.

Isn't the crankshaft technically the thing that works the pistons in and out of the cylinder as opposed to being the piston itself?

Yeah, you're right. I may have misused the term "piston" above to describe my model, for lack of a better term in my lexicon. Maybe "arm" or "shaft" would be more accurate. It's just a generic piece of equipment moving along a linear track, not the piston in the cylinders of a reciprocating engine. I'm going to edit the OP for clarity.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    DD9 just collected an award for being on the honor roll all year.

Thanks, Ms. Principal. I'd love to read back some of your comments about why skipping third grade would have been such a disaster, if you've got the time. Too busy? Okay then.

Congrats to your DD, Dude.

All the doubters' objections should now be well and truly debunked!

Last edited by madeinuk; 05/14/14 07:55 AM.

Become what you are
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    My 10 yo boy scored 770 on the SAT math and in the upper 500s on critical reading. He is taking the AOPS Algebra II course and studying trigonometry on ALEKS, in addition to going to IDEA math classes. He is motivated by standardized tests, so I may have him take the SAT Mathematics Level 2 Subject Test when his Algebra II and trig studies are over. Then he should be ready to study calculus.

What was his background, in terms of courses taken, and other activities, previous tests, when he took this? (I'm thinking of having DS8 take SAT in 2 years time, and want to see if he's on the right track.)

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    My 10 yo boy scored 770 on the SAT math and in the upper 500s on critical reading. He is taking the AOPS Algebra II course and studying trigonometry on ALEKS, in addition to going to IDEA math classes. He is motivated by standardized tests, so I may have him take the SAT Mathematics Level 2 Subject Test when his Algebra II and trig studies are over. Then he should be ready to study calculus.

I don't know how I missed that before. Most definitely brag- worthy.

Congrats to your DS and to you for the fine support that you have shown to him!

Last edited by madeinuk; 05/16/14 08:55 AM.

Become what you are
    Page 227 of 268 1 2 225 226 227 228 229 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM