Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    azucena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Ds 7 has dropped this line into several conversations with adults in the past few weeks. He's right - but it still can come across as obnoxious. Any tips as to how to redirect him without making him feel as though he needs to hide his giftedness or feel ashamed of it? Signed, HG+ mom still in recovery from being called "The walking encyclcopedia" in 3rd grade.

Tell him that, in a matter-of-fact way, and ask him for different ways he might say that.

My son always surprises me with his intuitive understanding but if he doesn't know the social etiquette, he can't be blamed for not adhering to it. :-)

C
    C
    I tell my DS "smart is as smart does." People will know he is intelligent by his actions.

P
    P
    Maybe something more specific. As in I really like maths and am good at it. It sounds a bit less boastful or odd and still allows the person to ask further.

Z
    Z
    Is it just spice or is it in response to something?

Like Phineas in Phineas and Ferb...
    Some random adult: "Aren't you a bit young to be building a nuclear sub?"
    Phineas: "Yes, yes I am."

My son will sometimes say: "I'm age defying."

I tell him that people don't like to hear unsolicited bragging. And we've talked about from how it sounds to him if someone else does similar.

I pointed out such children to my DD when she was small-- though she had already noted that bragging in this way (especially unsolicited) made others feel resentful and that nothing good came of it, socially speaking.

We discussed that "for my age" is really not a reasonable benchmark when you are unusual, anyway. And besides, "I was the best reader in my kindergarten class" sure isn't something you hear teens or adults mentioning off-hand... wonder why that is...

wink

I consider this kind of thing a good opening to teach about social nuances and how we portray our authentic selves to the world at large. Being "true" to that self can also mean being quiet-- if part of your identity is "a person that others find comfortable and pleasant to be with."

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The fact that he has suddenly started saying this suggests that he has recently reached a new level of understanding about the differences between him and his age-peers. A comment like this could reflect his exploration of this difference, and perhaps an attempt by him to grapple with feeling incongruent.

The next time you hear this, there may be value in casually asking him why he said it. (Obviously, not in front of the recipient of the comment!) That might give you some insight into the direction you should go in discussing the social appropriateness of the comment.

We have frequent small conversations with our offspring about where the value of a human being lies, the diversity of giftings, appreciating others without artificially downplaying oneself, and how being blessed with any exceptional gift brings with it the proportional responsibility not only to use it for good, but also to be gracious to those less-gifted in that area.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I consider this kind of thing a good opening to teach about social nuances and how we portray our authentic selves to the world at large. Being "true" to that self can also mean being quiet-- if part of your identity is "a person that others find comfortable and pleasant to be with."
    Like.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM