Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #189798 04/30/14 09:28 AM
    C
    cmguy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Wondering if anyone has seen any differences in the scores of the WPPSI-III vs WPPSI-IV. The WPPSI-IV has been out a couple of years now - are scores still coming in "lower"?

I could be wrong but last I heard it is still a work in progress. Much lower scores.

Last edited by 1111; 04/30/14 10:20 AM.
    C
    cmguy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Is there a consensus on a gifted cutoff score for the WPPSI-IV? Is it still 130? IQ scores are very confusing since it it misleadingly easy to compare numbers - even when they are really apples/oranges.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    In general IQ scores will be slightly lower for newer revisions of the same test. It's called the Flynn effect, and there is an ongoing discussion in the field about the explanation for it. On face value, it would suggest that people are actually getting smarter over time, but more likely it has to do with what constitutes common experience and how that changes from decade to decade.

As to cutoffs for giftedness, that is also a subject for ongoing discussion in the field. There are some who hold to 130+ (e.g., Mensa), while others, looking at it from a more psychometric view, rather than a membership perspective, have proposed that the cutoff be as low as 120 (all these scores are assumed to be mean = 100, and standard deviation = 15; the cutoffs would be different with different standard deviations). Some practitioners/school systems consider a score at or above the cutoff to be relevant for classification only if it is the global (Full Scale IQ) score, while others would accept one of the Index scores, or the General Ability Index (which combines the measures with more high-level thinking and reasoning on them, and excludes the cognitive proficiency scales - working memory and processing speed).

In any case, cognitive scores below the age of about eight or nine are notoriously unstable. I wouldn't sweat WPPSI scores too much; wait until the child is nine, and test with the WISC-V (out this September).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    M
    Does anyone know how this factors in to applying to DYS?

DD6 (age 5 at the time) took the WPPSI-IV last August, and missed the minimum qualification by 5 points (145 vs the minimum of 150).

C
    cmguy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I don't think that Davidson distinguishes between the WPPSI-III and WPPSI-IV. A verbal, FQIQ or Performance > 150 is accepted.

"Standard score 150+ (99.9th percentile) on at least one of the following sections: Verbal, Performance or Full Scale"

I am not sure either how much weight to put in WPPSI-IV scores as early IQs are not stable as aeh has pointed out.

A WPPSI score means something I guess - but what?

M
    M
    Originally Posted by cmguy
    I don't think that Davidson distinguishes between the WPPSI-III and WPPSI-IV. A verbal, FQIQ or Performance > 150 is accepted.

"Standard score 150+ (99.9th percentile) on at least one of the following sections: Verbal, Performance or Full Scale"

I am not sure either how much weight to put in WPPSI-IV scores as early IQs are not stable as aeh has pointed out.

A WPPSI score means something I guess - but what?

So, with a portfolio, do you think it would be worth applying to DYS, since her IQ is close to the minimum? Or would that be an automatic denial? We haven't done achievement tests.

She is reading on a 5th grade level, math is 2 grades above level, and she also has a piano talent (for example, I could include a video of a few piano pieces she has memorized).

S
    S
    I am pretty sure you must have one qualifying test (either IQ or achievement) to submit with the portfolio in order to be considered. Others may know better.

Yes. You need one qualifying test score (either IQ or achievement) to submit with a portfolio. If it's close, but no cigar, they'll ask you to re-test.

That's what happened to us last year. I submitted the portfolio last year with close, but not qualifying scores. DYS said to re-submit once ds had one qualifying test score. I have plenty of work samples on the pgness, but not a minimum test score yet.

M
    M
    Okay, thanks for the info!!

Looks like we'll be holding off, since I don't plan on re-testing her anytime soon. smile

She is in a charter school. I am not entirely sure of her rights (i.e. can I ask the school to administer an achievement or IQ test?).

She is at a school that is not overall academically rigorous, but differentiates quite well for DD and other gifted kids, and in all other ways is a perfect fit for DD. She also has an amazing K teacher, and the school loops, so she will have the same teacher next year. Since things are going well at school, it is not an issue I have ever pushed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM