Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 14 of 35 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 34 35
    L
    L
    Indigo, DD previously had an abbreviated test for school's program. These brief results gave DYS-level scores, but no extended norms are available for this brief test (and it would appear DD hit a couple of ceilings). I'm not the professional, but from what I understand, when a full test is later performed, all subtests can be administered (so "finishing" it is actually a bit of a misnomer, but is just how I'd been thinking about it), substitution of subtests is considered to avoid any "practice effects," to achieve a full WISC. There is actually a bulletin out that describes the procedure.

I
    I
    Loy58, Would you point me to the bulletin you are referring to?

L
    L
    Indigo, I'll pm you.

D
    D
    Hooray, our son was just accepted as a DYS! We are excited but have no idea how to explain this to our DS6. Any advice would be great!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by DrummerLiz
    Hooray, our son was just accepted as a DYS! We are excited but have no idea how to explain this to our DS6. Any advice would be great!
    Might want to mention that there may be opportunities to meet other kids with a similar intellectual profile, and that there may be lots of information for you as parents to learn to help the school keep up with him so he can learn something new every day. This might be a good time to talk with him about being a good partner with you to keep you updated about how things are going at school, just setting aside some time to talk about his day.

L
    L
    Congratulations to you and your DS!!! smile

D
    D
    Indigo, thanks again! You have so many great insights! And thanks Loy! It's just starting to get interesting...

L
    L
    I am new to this forum. For the past few days, I spent hours here reading past posts, gained a lot knowledge. Thank you!

I've posted a question regarding DYS application criteria in a separate post, but guess might get more inputs here... (so sorry if you read this same question twice blush)

My DS6 was tested this month with complete WISC-IV but only 3 subtests of WJ-III (Passage Comprehension, Applied Problems, and Writing Samples). He is current enrolled in our public school half day K program. The school principle made an exception to allow early testing. (Usually, it won't happen until after group screening at the end of 1st grade) His WISC score is good fit for DYS. His "Applied Problems" -- one subtest in the Math section was 163 (>99.9th). Will this one subtest score good enough for applying DYS? I doubt the school district would do "extra" (complete WJ-III testing) at this point. DS is interested in Physics, Chemistry as well as Math. He learned Algebra, Geometry before turning 6 and is pushing to learn Calculus (which I can't help him anymore... cry) Can a portfolio (showing him doing some of the algebra or geometry problems) plus the "Applied Problems" score be "good enough" for DYS application? Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Love2Dolphins
    Can a portfolio (showing him doing some of the algebra or geometry problems) plus the "Applied Problems" score be "good enough" for DYS application? Suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    Some may say that depends on how he comes across on the video? For example some parents have posted videos of kids on YouTube which seem heavily coached or guided, even following prompts from parents during the video. This may come across as hothousing by a tiger parent and/or exhibiting a fixed mindset and fear of making a mistake. Just my 2 cents.

Val Offline
    The website says this about IQ scores:

Originally Posted by YS qualification criteria
    WISC_IV: Standard score 145+ (99.9th percentile) on at least one of the following sections: Verbal Comprehension, Perceptual Reasoning, General Ability Index (GAI), or Full Scale

Portfolio: They're looking for evidence of his ability to work two or more years ahead of what would be expected for his age. My impression is that handwritten materials are a priority for them (as noted in their directions here). Scanned handwritten math work that's at least 2-3 years beyond what would be expected of a typical child his age would presumably be what they're looking for.

Originally Posted by YS qualifcation criteria
    A portfolio consists of at least four academic work samples that clearly demonstrate the applicant’s advanced abilities in academic areas of strength including math, writing, reading, science, or social studies. Please submit independent work that is completed without the assistance of teachers or parents. The Review Committee prefers handwritten examples as they allow them to better gauge ability and independence. Typed work with grades and teacher comments can be included as scanned PDF files. Work must be at least 2-3 grade levels above age peers to qualify for the Young Scholars Program.

Last edited by Val; 04/28/14 09:56 AM. Reason: Add URL
    Page 14 of 35 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 34 35

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM