Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 13 of 35 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 34 35
    D
    D
    Thanks ElizabethN! I am becoming more appreciative of this online forum!

J
    J
    To those who have applied, should one expect to hear something back before the last day of the month? I submitted my son's application on 3/31 and I'm antsy! Thanks!
    Julie

D
    D
    JulieV we are wondering the same thing! Very antsy here too! smile

C
    C
    As they say in their website, applications are reviewed monthly. All the applications that are sent between March 2 - April 1 are currently being reviewed and notifications will be sent at the end of April.

J
    J

P
    P
    DS8 is in second grade in a very academically rigorous private school. He tested with a GAI of 148 but a FSIQ of 132 due to a PSI of 97 as compared to VCI of 136 and PRI of 143.

I've been considering applying for DYS but feel his scores might be borderline and haven't invested in more testing.

DS8 has recently become enthralled with video games (minecraft) and watching videos about these video games. As a result, it is hard for him to focus on school work or anything else.

His opinion of school varies. He enjoys the social aspect but finds writing and sitting still tedious. He often complains of homework (though they really don't get as much as public schools) and of getting in trouble in class. He has adopted a 'class clown' persona as of late and he responds to anything uncomfortable by trying to joke his way out. (It's driving me mad...)

I've been meaning to perhaps send in a portfolio, but I'm not sure what 2-3 grades above grade level actually mean? For his school, a 2nd grader is doing multiplication and division and reading Harry Potter books. I can't imagine what 4th graders are doing!

Is there a place where I would be able to see a guide of what 'grade level' actually means for each grade?

I sense that this 'class clown' persona might have to do with anxiety from social interactions or from getting 'in trouble' in class. His teacher has also been on him about messy work and bad grammar / handwriting, though I turned in a report at the beginning of the school year where it stated that this was an ongoing problem of kids with significant differences between their PSI and PRI/VCI scores. Teacher's response was "well, he still has to write". (specially tough as they are doing cursive work...)

How do I approach this?

Thanks.

To figure out what the typical 4th grade would be doing I would check out the districts website for the fourth grade curriculum. Or check out the website of a 4th grade teacher at another school in your area and see what they have posted. It may surprise you what is considered 4th grade at a "regular" school.

Good luck

J
    J
    We are considering applying to DYS for our 2E DS9. We would use his Explore results, which are well above the thresh hold used by for DYS. (composite was 20, math was 25) He has been tested by a Psychologist for ADHD, that test was more for diagnostic purposes, and may not accurately reflect his potential....if we do not use this doctor's testing as part of the application process, may we use this person as the nominator? She has been seeing our son professionally and would be the most qualified to address his qualifications...any thoughts? BTW, new member to the forums...great stuff!

L
    L
    So grateful for this forum and all of you here. Bit the bullet after reading posts here and had DD8 take the EXPLORE (results previous thread). Then, we bit the bullet and did the WISC, with a tester very experienced with gifted children and testing, who used extended norms. So glad that we did. FSIQ DYS-level and GAI (higher) (told this was the better measure for DD). Please cross your fingers for us as I try to complete our application. I am feeling inadequate while filling it out - if DD doesn't make it, I'll feel like it was my fault!

I
    I
    How does one "finish" the WISC with a different tester?

Page 13 of 35 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 34 35

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM