Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 161 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Q
    Q
    I definitely do parent differently. I support his interests and help him go as deeply into those topics as he wants to without being dismissive. I constantly try to "find the ceiling" and see how far he can go. He continues to surprise me. I give him more responsibility because I know he can handle it. I advocate for him at school because now I understand why he complains about it. I seek out classes that will appeal to kids like him. I am finding social groups to attend so he doesn't feel so different. I research constantly to try to understand what might come next, what it means, the things to watch out for, ideas on how to challenge him, and what this new normal looks like in the future. These are all the beautiful things about being blessed with a highly intelligent child. I love having deep discussions with my 6yo because he thinks as deeply as many adults. He has helped me rediscover my own love of learning and opened my eyes to my own giftedness. Testing has changed every member of our family and has made us better parents. The insight has been massively helpful in understanding his strengths and weaknesses. I knew he was bright, but testing helped me realize just how rare and special he is.

Mom to DS9 and DD6
    Originally Posted by Dude
    We mostly parent the same way, but having DD tested and learning about the nature of giftedness has had an influence, as any new knowledge should.

On the upside, DW learned to stop worrying and love the emotional intensity that comes with it, in both DD and myself. We were also better informed on the potential dangers of perfectionism, which allowed us to be more aggressive in combating that.

On the downside... I can confess falling victim to the mentality where every time DD shows an interest in something new that it could be A BIG THING for her, based on her natural abilities. It makes wonderful bait for the push-parenting trap.

Having introspected a bit more I think that Dude's post exactly matches my own experiences to a tee - especially the bit about The Next Big Thing LOL

Become what you are
    P
    P
    Not really. DS's IQ scores and subscores came as no surprise--they fit really well with my perception of his overall learning styles, cognitive strengths and weaknesses, speed of learning and interest. So we simply kept doing what we did. DD never had an IQ test because I didn't think it would add much to my understanding of who she is--her abilities, interests and personalities were really obvious (DS took the test because we applied to a GT school which needed the s.cores).)

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by queencobra
    I definitely do parent differently. I support his interests and help him go as deeply into those topics as he wants to without being dismissive. I constantly try to "find the ceiling" and see how far he can go. He continues to surprise me. I give him more responsibility because I know he can handle it. I advocate for him at school because now I understand why he complains about it. I seek out classes that will appeal to kids like him. I am finding social groups to attend so he doesn't feel so different. I research constantly to try to understand what might come next, what it means, the things to watch out for, ideas on how to challenge him, and what this new normal looks like in the future. These are all the beautiful things about being blessed with a highly intelligent child. I love having deep discussions with my 6yo because he thinks as deeply as many adults. He has helped me rediscover my own love of learning and opened my eyes to my own giftedness. Testing has changed every member of our family and has made us better parents. The insight has been massively helpful in understanding his strengths and weaknesses. I knew he was bright, but testing helped me realize just how rare and special he is.

I think this was beautifully written. This is what a aspire to do.

Then, last night at IKEA he was a regular 5 year old, so excited at the ball pit he was jumping and squealing. I was equally excited for him too. grin

Honestly, though, I also have found myself trying to step up my game. I used to love to learn and explore and have slacked off after lifelong testing and studying. I'd finally gotten somewhat burnt out. Now I'm reading more (not high quality literature, but still), focusing on learning as entertainment on TV, and getting excited about science kits to do with DS.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.
    A
    A
    No, I don't feel like I parent differently. I have always followed their interests and encouraged them to stretch themselves. This honestly hasn't been too hard, especially with DD. She always so obviously "got" things, no matter how age-inappropriate. Or didn't.

What I found has really changed is that I feel more validated in advocating for DD because now it's not just "I think she's incredibly bright"--now I have some solid evidence backing up my potentially biased opinion on the matter.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM