Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by MonetFan
    I also have to say that parents on both sides seem to create some of these problems as well, at least in my area. Many in this thread have already discussed the parental pushers, but I've also seen the parental slackers who get upset with any amount of homework because it interferes with sports and other extra curricular activities. Are their kids *really* spending 4+ hours every night, or are there *some* parents who are exaggerating because it fits their agenda? Don't know, but I do know the slacker group is out there.
    It is very hard to gauge, because the amount of time it takes for one assignment really varies per kid. And many kids have struggle with procrastination and distraction issues even if they don't have ADHD. One of the reasons it would take my son a long time to do homework in elementary school is that I would turn around and he would be doing something else. The easier the assignment the easier it was to get distracted. He has improved as he has gotten older but some of that is from teaching him better habits. He realized himself that unless homework needs his computer he should do it in a different room because the computer is too distracting. Through trial and error we figured out that with my son starting homework early doesn't help, homework fills the entire time allotted. Spent a few very frustrating Sundays in 6th grade, where the whole day was spent on something that should only have taken him 2-3 hours. Silly me.. thought he could get in done in the morning and do something fun in the afternoon. In the early elementary grades I had to sit with him while he did his homework, even though he needed no help.

And second there really are teachers/schools that give too much homework to elementary school kids. Don't get me started on the 26 page state "report" my daughter was supposed to do in 5th grade. It wasn't 26 pages of writing but it was still over the top and I just heard from someone that 10 years later she is still assigning it.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    It is very hard to gauge, because the amount of time it takes for one assignment really varies per kid. And many kids have struggle with procrastination and distraction issues even if they don't have ADHD.

I find that when I remove all devices capable of accessing the internet my teenage son's homework miraculously takes far less time. What's so weird is that when I do this, he complains, but he likes the results--like being able to actually relax because it's all done. What a concept.

^ truth.

smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM