Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    L
    L
    My son plays a lot of RPG games like Final Fantasy and MMORPG games like World of Warcraft and Runescape, and he likes to make up stories in his head, but so far he hasn't put any of them in writing and if he would just do that I might consider them somewhat educational. I do think these games excite his imagination, and I always thought it was kind of strange that he doesn't choose to read much fiction when this looks to me like interactive fiction. Although he does like some historical fiction and he really likes Japanese manga, he often prefers to read history and science and technology and magazines like National Geographic.

My son also likes simulation games and I think these are more educational than RPG games. He just bought Sims 2 and is saving his money to buy the Sims 2 Open for Business which is recommended for teenagers and lets players learn the challenges of entrepreneurship, from hiring and firing to devising an effective marketing strategy. He also liked playing Capitalism II and several of the Tycoon games. I think these games can be very educational. I think my son learned a lot from them in a fun way since they are interactive.

My son used to play chess on a video game. I don't play chess so he doesn't have anyone else to play with. He does have one friend who likes to play chess, but when he comes to visit there are too many other choices and they usually end up playing some RPG game because they think it is a little more fun than chess.

Does anyone play Go anymore? I remember liking it, but I don't have a Go set right now. Maybe the kids would enjoy it.

Speaking of chess, I just found a good deal on a lego chess board on ebay (just the board - someone probably is splitting sets and selling off parts). I thought it would be fun to make our own lego chess players (cheaper too!). Then I'll start teaching DS4 chess. I'm sure he'll surpass my ability quite soon. (I get impatient having to think ahead too far - i'm all for instant gratification!)

I've been checking out many of the games people are mentioning. This forum is turning out to be rather costly... but thanks for all the great ideas!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM