Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    Coll Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    What books do your dyslexic kids enjoy reading on their own? I'm looking for some new book recommendations. DS9, 3rd grade, has stealth dyslexia. He reads at about a 5th grade level, but it's exhausting for him and he doesn't enjoy reading most books on his own.

He does enjoy reading the Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Big Nate series solo. The DWK are the easiest for him to read; the font, lines, and picture placement work for him. I haven't found other books that have fewer words on a page like this. He doesn't like regular graphic novels, they are still too visually distracting.

We bought him a Kindle Fire so we could use the narration, word highlighting, and enlarged font, and he's now able to read some of his favorite authors like Andrew Clements solo with the narration. But I'd love to find some other books he enjoys reading without narration, that are easier for him to digest visually, like the DWK and Big Nate series. Any recommendations?

C
    Coll Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Alright, clearly this is an underserved market.

Here is a list of books I got from the librarian at our neighbor’s school, which specializes in kids with learning differences, particularly dyslexia. Most or all of these are series, and these are the first books in the series, according to the librarian. She noted that all of the books are a hybrid of text and illustrations, all have more white space on the page, and most have sans-serif font.

- Herbert’s Wormhole, by Peter Nelson and Rohitash Rao
    - My Life as a Book, by Janet Tashjian
    - Wonkenstein, The Creature from my Closet, by Obert Skye
    - Gossip from the Girls’ Room, by Rese Cooper
    - Dear Dumb Diary, Can Adults Become Human?, unsure of author
    - The Great Hamster Massacre, by Katie Davies
    - Stick Dog, by Tom Watson
    - The Loser List, by HN Kowitt,
    - Timmy Failure, Mistakes Were Made, by Stephan Pastis
    - Dork Diaries

She also recommended Choose Your Own Adventure books, saying she and many of their students love these books too. Reading them feels a bit like cheating because you read a bit and are then presented with a choice, such as ‘If you want to climb down the ladder and escape, turn to page 32. If you'd rather try to pick the lock on the door, turn to page 16.’

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Thanks, I have six year old dyslexic. I am going to come back to this list when he is a little older.

N
    N.. Offline
    N
    I have a six year old who is not diagnosed dyslexic but stealth dyslexia has been tossed around as a possibility so I keep it in back of mind.

We also have found Diary of Wimpy Kid to be the easiest read. He was not tired out by it nor did he make the same number of mistakes when reading out loud.

Timmy Failure is another good option. I see that is on the list provided. I can vouch he did well on that book.

I read you have a Kindle Fire. We downloaded a few different reading apps on our device and also the opendyslexic font which is similar to the font used in Diary of Wimpy Kid. He uses that font when available on a sepia background and I believe (though I might be imagining things) he has less reading fatigue.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Thanks for even more recommendations. I might have to make a trip to the library tomorrow with this list. His reading ability is improving so rapidly he might surprise me. I'll check out the options on the Kindle Fire too. Thanks again!

B
    B
    DS (not dyslexic) enjoyed the Spiderwick Chronicles. Small pages, not too many words on a page.

L
    L
    My son is only 5 and not diagnosed, but I've seen some signs and am keeping it in the back of my head.

One thing that really interests him are non-fiction books that you don't necessarily have to read cover-to-cover. I can't think of a particular series, and some are harder than others, but the kind I'm thinking of will have 2-6 page spreads on a particular topic. Then, even the topics themselves are broken up into small snippets. So a picture might catch your eye, and you could read about it, but you wouldn't have to have read what came before it to understand it. Does that make sense.

Ah...one series came to mind. "You Wouldn't Want to (Be on the Mayflower/Be a Mummy/etc.)"

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM