Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    #189166 04/23/14 10:03 AM
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi Everyone! I think I have come to the right place to ask this question... How do you know if your kid reached test ceilings?? This is for the WISC IV.... Here is the subtests scores:

Similarities 19
    Vocabulary 19
    Comprehension 15

Block Design 17
    Picture concepts 19
    Matrix Reasoning 19

Digit Span 14
    Letter/Number 12
    Arithmetic 17

Coding 9
    Symbol Search 13

Obviously lots of scatter with the Processing speed stuff, so just curious to your thoughts!!
    Thanks!!

L
    L
    From my limited understanding (DC did some recent testing), those 19s could indicate reaching the ceilings (I believe in some cases, even an 18 can be a ceiling, depending on subtest and age of the child). Did your tester use extended norms? In my experience, extended norms could make a big difference!

Also, I'm going to guess that as is common with MANY gifted kids, your DC's GAI would be even higher than FSIQ, and might be the better measure.

Those look like very high scores!

N
    N.. Offline
    N
    A ceiling is reached (from my understanding) under two circumstances. The child either answered all the questions with correct responses or the rule for stopping was not reached (like getting a certain number wrong in a row...)

This indicates that if there were more questions a higher score in that area might have been reached.

The 19s and yes some 18s indicate a ceiling may have been hit. Of course...19 may have been were your child naturally stopped. Given the number of 19s I'd highly expect ceilings were hit.

I would email your tester and inquire if ceilings were hit and with which subtests. Some testers will use extended norms to continue the questions and further gauge ability. And those can even be ceilinged!

As to GAI...with the processing speed I'd imagine GAI is a better indicator of overall academic success and intellectual ability. Ask your test if she/he will calculate GAI as well for you. Lower processing speed, from my understanding, is not unusual for young highly and profoundly gifted children.

Last edited by N..; 04/24/14 04:41 AM.
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks!! They did calculate GAI and it's 155. FSIQ is 143. Qualified for everything we tested for so I don't think I NEED or even want (haha) higher scores but all the >16.10''s got me curious. He's 8.9.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    No extended norms were used

I
    I
    Originally Posted by N..
    I would email your tester and inquire if ceilings were hit and with which subtests.
    Yes, score interpretation is best done by qualified professionals who've observed your child's testing. Interested parents who wish to acquaint themselves with general background information in preparation for discussion with their professional may conduct a websearch to find and read information in source documents found online and freely accessible to all, such as the WISC-IV Technical Report #4 General Ability Index dated January 2005 by Susan E.Raiford, Ph.D. Lawrence G.Weiss, Ph.D. Eric Rolfhus, Ph.D. Diane Coalson, Ph.D., and updated December 2008. This 20-page technical report states on page 3:
    It is important for practitioners to recognize that the GAI is not necessarily a more valid estimate of overall cognitive ability than the FSIQ. Working memory and processing speed are vital to the comprehensive evaluation of cognitive ability, and excluding these abilities from the evaluation can be misleading.
    and on page 17:
    The GAI provides important information regarding a child’s cognitive functioning, but it should never be interpreted in isolation.

While referring practioners to their extensive score interpretation manuals for guidance, the technical report provides tables for assessing differences between predicted achievement scores and actual achievement scores for discrepancy analysis. Tables do not describe predicting GAI based on achievement scores.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by N..
    As to GAI...with the processing speed I'd imagine GAI is a better indicator of overall academic success and intellectual ability. Ask your test if she/he will calculate GAI as well for you. Lower processing speed, from my understanding, is not unusual for young highly and profoundly gifted children.

My understanding is that VCI, and in particular working memory and processing indexes are important for success in a typical school. I certainly see this at home with my DS; he is intelligent but his deficits in executive function makes school and homework a challenge at times. Fortunately he is doing well now, but I worry about this impact as he gets older.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by slammie
    Originally Posted by N..

My understanding is that VCI, and in particular working memory and processing indexes are important for success in a typical school. I certainly see this at home with my DS; he is intelligent but his deficits in executive function makes school and homework a challenge at times. Fortunately he is doing well now, but I worry about this impact as he gets older.

What really matters is understanding the root cause of the lower scores in working memory or processing speed, and understanding what's at the root of executive function challenges. There are many reasons that you may see these issues, and many of those reasons can be remediated/accommodated. Our dysgraphic ds has similar spread in coding vs other scores as the OP, and when he was in elementary school was extremely challenged with organizational skills. He receives accommodations for the challenge that impacts his coding subtest score (dysgraphia - he keyboards in all classes plus has accommodations for testing and other dysgraphic-typical accommodations), and we were able to remediate the organizational challenges by working with him intensively on those skills during 6th grade. Today he's doing very well in school, and isn't being held back at all (grade level/acceleration etc) by the disabilities that impact his coding score and executive function.

polarbear

eta - I'd add that in some ways, I feel like it was easier for ds to make progress in remediating and using accommodations as he got older, because he was able to understand how his challenges impact him and be an active part of coming up with his own solutions.

Last edited by polarbear; 04/24/14 08:53 AM.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Jefferson
    Thanks!! They did calculate GAI and it's 155. FSIQ is 143. Qualified for everything we tested for so I don't think I NEED or even want (haha) higher scores but all the >16.10''s got me curious. He's 8.9.

Interesting that most psychs do not seem to calculate extended norms. Both of my kids could have technically had this done (I think there needs to be a 19, or two 18's), but neither psych did it. I did it on my own for DD and it added about 5 points to her GAI and a few points to FSIQ.
    I wonder why he had 3 tests done for working memory? And which were used in the scores? My kids each had two (DD had arithmetic and letter/number and DS had digit span and letter/number).

B
    B
    In terms of the GAI, the NAGC has a position paper on using the WISC in terms of identifying children for gifted programs. I turned this into the school with my DD's report, since her GAI was a lot higher than FSIQ. In her case, the coding score really brought her FSIQ down a lot. We do see this "slowness" reflected in school and it is meaningful, but most psychs would say that kids should be put at the right level in terms of reasoning ability, and be given supports for weaknesses in other areas (like speed). Some gifted kids are very careful and deep with their thinking and that slows them down. I don't think this should be viewed as a "problem" but it can seem like a problem in terms of lower scores. In other kids it represents a disability, like ADHD or poor motor skills. My DS's coding score was low because when he was tested his ability to write was abysmal. The same thing happened with block design, which is timed and involves motor skills. Some psychs would have deliberately substituted a different test, but the goal wasn't to find out if he was gifted, it was to identify problems due to a brain injury and delays.
    http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=2455

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM