Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    P
    P
    For the most part, it seems to me that what a system needs is a strong leader who then has to take the time necessary and the persistence to make change.

Three years ago, I arranged for the principal at my son's school, the curriculum assistant superintendent and some other teachers and parents to visit a neighboring school district to observe a highly gifted program there. My DS had just done a mid year skip into second grade and I was hoping they would offer the program in our district in the 3rd grade. He is now in the 5th grade and attends that neighboring district's program.

Two weeks ago, my son's former principal who now works for the district presented the districts plan for gifted education - it contains an elementary and middle school self contained program - initially starting elementary in 2014-2015 with expansion to middle in 2015-2016. While it is 3 years too late for us for elementary school, I am excited about the opportunities for other kids and my own in a few years. I like to think that some of those efforts 3 years ago planted the seed for some of the change.

Our district also went through creating a strategic plan and got a huge Race to the Top grant which has really created a change mindset - a mindset that seems at least at the higher levels to recognize that we have to serve all types of kids.

Anyway, it did not happen quickly but I do see some change over time in our district. My son will be coming back here for middle school - oh and I will start serving on the school board in January. I filed to run and no one opposed me. smile

W
    OP Offline
    W
    Tonight, I am just hoping that for the last part of this year, the teachers all just really want to teach.

I am sensing some sort of 'movement' in which there are people assigned to teach, but their definition of teaching is so different from ours. We actually want our child to know things.

It seems as if the emphasis is on everything except the attainment of knowledge. We still think actual knowledge is helpful, useful, necessary.

Yes, admin., testing, skills training, team building, etc., is wonderful, but we also want the teachers to want to teach, to be passionate about teaching and to actually be teaching.

We are hoping that what we have experienced is just part of elementary school with an all inclusive, no child left behind legal mandate.

We are hoping to move on from this stage eventually and get to the knowledge attainment level for our student.

Can anyone else relate?

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Percy
    While it is 3 years too late for us for elementary school, I am excited about the opportunities for other kids and my own in a few years. I like to think that some of those efforts 3 years ago planted the seed for some of the change.
    Well said.

I will start serving on the school board in January. I filed to run and no one opposed me. smile
    Congrats. Keep that advocacy spirit alive and many will benefit. smile

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM