Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    slnews2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    We are relocating and deciding between 2 public schools. Private is not an option. One offers a formal gifted program. The other does not. Can anyone offer insight as to how to approach the schools with private testing reports and have a discussion on

1) for the school with formal program, how to get kiddos considered for/into the gifted ed for the one school

2) (having difficulty phrasing this question) - for the school without formal program, how does it work with similarly situated students: differentiation, etc.?

Also, do schools place more emphasis on transferring student record or the current private testing that addresses the underperformance?

Thank you

D
    D
    I think it depends on the policies that the schools have in place. I know at our TAG school there is a testing period. If you are not tested during the testing period, you have to wait until the next testing period. No exceptions.

I would call and ask to meet the principal at both places.

C
    C
    We may have to move over the summer and I went for the direct approach.

I found a district-wide gifted office/ program supervisor. I provided the IQ and achievement test results over the phone and asked about our options. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the district had a lot of options.

For the school without a formal GT program, they may still offer subject area acceleration or grade acceleration, if it's something you want to consider.

I wouldn't call the school directly- I would talk with the district headquarters gifted office or someone in admissions/curriculum, depending on who can answer your questions.

I have discovered with one experience that candid is best. We ended up moving from a private elementary school. I realize in hindsight that by not providing IQ test scores and being a polite but direct advocate for my ds, that I may have contributed to the problem. I felt timid and "braggy" by stating the truth and the school didn't meet his needs because he didn't present as a high achiever.

S
    slnews2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you. Yes, we tried the polite route here with limited success. I will try the district level first and see if having a candid conversation with data points will work better.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM