Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 34 of 36 1 2 32 33 34 35 36
    How about "human investments?"

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    This long article is not easy to summarize, but it makes the important point that student loans are not "aid" in the way grants are.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/e...know-about-financial-aid-but-should.html
    What You Don’t Know About Financial Aid (but Should)
    By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA
    New York Times
    APRIL 9, 2014

Originally Posted by Old Dad
    Once again, there is no such thing as free tuition or free education, only free education or tuition to someONE, it's still costs others. Let's use the phrase, "Publicly funded education" instead as it's far more accurate.

Perhaps I'm being too picky on the wording, however, there seems to be a lot of word play designed to promote agendas in the last decade or so and personally, I like to see wording used that accurately reflects the scenario presented.

Wanted to make sure both of those posts were on this page of the thread-- I agree with Old Dad that there's not such a thing as "free" tuition in this sense.

But-- I also agree with Dude that it's a societal investment as much as K-12 education is.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    This long article is not easy to summarize, but it makes the important point that student loans are not "aid" in the way grants are.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/e...know-about-financial-aid-but-should.html
    What You Don’t Know About Financial Aid (but Should)
    By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA
    New York Times
    APRIL 9, 2014

Once again, there is no such thing as free tuition or free education, only free education or tuition to someONE, it's still costs others. Let's use the phrase, "Publicly funded education" instead as it's far more accurate.

Perhaps I'm being too picky on the wording, however, there seems to be a lot of word play designed to promote agendas in the last decade or so and personally, I like to see wording used that accurately reflects the scenario presented.

Wanted to make sure both of those posts were on this page of the thread-- I agree with Old Dad that there's not such a thing as "free" tuition in this sense.

But-- I also agree with Dude that it's a societal investment as much as K-12 education is.

Our entire way of life is essentially "free".

Half of our problem is how to allocate the free stuff.

The other half is trying to figure out whether and, if so when, the free stuff is going to run out.

And "investment" in what exactly?

The goal being?????

Last edited by JonLaw; 04/09/14 07:05 AM.
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Our entire way of life is essentially "free".

Half of our problem is how to allocate the free stuff.

The other half is trying to figure out whether and, if so when, the free stuff is going to run out.

Oh, there's a lot more to it than that. There's also gathering enough of the free stuff that you can make sure it's not free anymore. Or convincing people to pay for things that they could get for free anyway. It's even better if you can get them to pay for nothing at all.

Originally Posted by JonLaw
    And "investment" in what exactly?

The goal being?????

Monetizing them, natch.

I
    I
    Some may see a play on the word "free" in this conversation.

One definition of FREE refers to things being without cost at point of service.
    One definition of FREE refers to people being self-determining, unhindered by law or regulation; having personal liberty.

There may be an ironic balance in that getting more "free" stuff often comes with a tradeoff of being less "free" as an increasing number of life-decisions may be made for a person by an outside entity.

In the case at hand, taxpayers are compelled to provide pre-determined amounts of money to the government, which the government then rations out and redistributes through a variety of programs with various requirements including the providing of private and personal information for the government databases.

There is a fine balance, beyond which a tipping point exists: if given a choice, which form of "free" do you prefer?

Speaking to the article on student loans, "meeting financial need" may be a misnomer. It is difficult to believe that anyone is not aware that a loan actually increases the total amount one must pay. Yet some people react as though they won the lottery when "awarded" a student loan as part of their financial aid package.

It is important to raise awareness that a loan actually increases the total amount one must pay.

O
    O
    I've really enjoyed this thread, it's given me a lot of food for thought and to be honest I'm still not certain where I stand on the issue of use of taxpayer money for education past K-12. There are certainly pros and cons to both sides as Vice Pres. Biden states in the 1st linked articles below. Some interesting reading within the links about how federal grants and aid have caused the price of college to skyrocket.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...dies_have_increased_college_tuition.html

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...nment-is-to-blame-for-high-college-costs

http://www.learnliberty.org/videos/why-is-higher-education-so-expensive/

http://www.cato.org/publications/po...ntended-consequences-federal-tuition-aid

http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/miarticle.htm?id=9565#.U1gL5FVdVu1

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303296604577454862437127618

http://www.downsizinggovernment.org/education/higher-education-subsidies

Ha! I are find more funner blog! WINNING!!!!

"If something can't go on forever, the old bromide goes, it won't. America's small, private liberal arts colleges can't go on forever. Even now, they are in a long slow decline, like elderly widows in small Southern towns, sitting placidly on their verandas and drinking mint juleps while they wait for the disease that will finally kill them."

http://studentdebtcrisis.blogspot.com/2013/09/private-liberal-arts-colleges-are-dying.html

The banks don't like competing with the government for student loans because they won't offer the same percentage rates, but they're eager to get a bigger share of non-dischargeable debt. From an investor perspective, it would be a better deal than mortgages in the 2000s.

Meanwhile, higher interest rates on student loans would have little influence on tuition rates.

O
    O
    Banks are a little smarter than the government, they tend not to like to loan tens of thousands of dollars in unsecured and uninsured loans by the government which can be wiped out by declaring bankruptcy. The government on the other hand isn't as smart and will lend money to anyone regardless of showing any ability to pay it off or have securities. Banks would have to be idiots to have the same percentage rates as the government for this reason. Banks cannot simply just tax the public more when people fail to pay off their student loans....so yeah, the competition is quite uneven and the rates charged aren't going to be competitive.

Val Offline
    ....so yeah, the competition is quite uneven and the rates charged aren't going to be competitive.

Back in the olden days of the 80s when I was a student, the entire point of rates on student loans was that they were low. Back then, interest rates were stratospheric (15%+), and student loan rates were 8%. This is one of those facts that people (err, especially banks) seem to have conveniently forgotten as the loans have become big business.

Page 34 of 36 1 2 32 33 34 35 36

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM