Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Unfortunately in this school the state tests are usually for 3 days, 2 hours each. To make sure all the kids finish. So the bright kids sit and read a book when they're done. If it were a 40 minute test,I wouldn't care. But 6 hours, I think it's too much for children who crave learning and like difficult work. It's like us wanting to learn about world politics and diplomacy, and they're not teaching it to us yet, but they're testing us for 6 hours on whether or not we know all 50 states.

I am considering letting him opt out so he doesn't develop an even worse resentment of math. And if we substitute the 7/8 assessment test, it would be a useful way for him to spend test taking time, to assess his level and what he knows.

Still thinking it over.

N
    N
    The school may get upset with kids opting out. If all of the bright kids opt out, then the school's scores will drop (and thus the school ranking will drop).

Our HS got angry with kids a few years ago because some of them decided to "Christmas Tree" (make a pattern on) their answer sheets. Made the district drop from third in the state to sixth in the state on the mandatory state test.

Six hours isn't that much. I'm more concerned with mandatory PE where my eldest was stuck with idiots who didn't know that you needed to dribble the basketball. And then was chided when she stole the ball from these kids and scored. My kids are involved in year round travel sports. They don't need PE, but all of us are stuck with plenty of mandatory things that are a waste of time. It is a part of life.

B
    B
    My son has never minded the state tests. He likes taking tests particularly ones he does well on that are multiple choice. And he never minds a chance to free read. Because of Common Core my son doesn't take any state tests this year. Not sure the details but it's something about giving the schools another year to adjust to common core before testing them.

Of the 3 days 2 hours, I suspect that only one of those days is math. Are you talking about opting him out of all of the testing? I can't imagine our schools allowing one to opt out of only one part of the test.

L
    L
    Here's a thought - look for placement tests available online for homeschooling curricula, for 7th and 8th grade math. I think I have one for Saxon and one for Singapore; each test is about two sides of a page. Print them out and let him do those in the down time after finishing the standardized tests. If he knows it all, great; if he misses a couple concepts, let him learn those; if it's all new, it's likely he would learn something in the regular class next year. If you have access to the actual textbook the classes would use, they often include unit tests or reviews that he could go over in the same way. It feels a bit like test prep, but if he can learn everything he needs to learn in less than six hours, it wouldn't be worth sitting through the classes.

P
    P
    Dear cee,

Check with the administrator about opting out first before talking to your DS. Most schools would not let you do it. Besides, it usually won't take that long. Most kids (especially the kids in this forum) will finish in less than half the time.

My DD10 (5th grade) is planning to skip 6th grade TAG class (7th and 8th grade Math) and go straight to Algebra I next year. She will have to take 7th grade Math, 8th grade Math, Iowa assessment for Algebra readiness test and 8th grade TEKS test as per district policy.

So, what your DS has to go through is not as bad :-)

There are free online resources for grade level including Khan Academy. Our State uses Glencoe publishing and it has online edition and testing. My DD just take the test on each chapters and review the text when she does not get 90%. Here's the link.

http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0078740479/student_view0/chapter1/chapter_readiness_quiz.html

Some paid sites like Thinkwell Academy has better tests. The kids who haven't taught the curriculum will have gaps and that way, they can see where the gaps are and fill them up before accelerating.

Good Luck!

C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    Of the 3 days 2 hours, I suspect that only one of those days is math. Are you talking about opting him out of all of the testing? I can't imagine our schools allowing one to opt out of only one part of the test.

Engish/Language Arts state tests last month were 3 days, 2 hours each day, and he took that test. Next week is 3 days of math tests, 2 hours each day again.

Thinking maybe let him take the math test. I am not one who has jumped on the anti-common core bandwagon. Their reasons for opting out are not the concerns I share. My concern is not wasting my son's time in math. He was completely in love with math until recent years when the classes stopped challenging him. I want his passion to come back.

I am having conversations with the school about doing things they've never done before, so perhaps I should cooperate when I can (?)

Last edited by cee; 04/23/14 12:24 PM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM