Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    LRS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I am really questioning at this point if it is fine motor or some kind of processing, motor planning problem, or expressive language issue.
    :P
    I think an OT could definitely help, but I really want a neuropsych eval as well, because I'm not sure that his diagnosis of Aspergers is necessary or appropriate anymore.

I can't figure out if his traits are simply facets of his giftedness or actually asd or other diagnosable issues. So, I don't know how to address them. Now that I have realized that he is highly gifted, and started reading up on it, it is dawning on me that he simply fits the tendancies of very gifted kids and their intensities and such. I wonder if his diagnosing doc will be open to changing his diagnosis. She seems like an open minded type of person, but I don't know her well, and her speciality is autism.
    He's very intense boy, amazing memory, unusual interests, overly sensitive, and very active. He used to seem like he had social impairments and repetitive behaviors, but he does not anymore, although he is obsessive about his particular interests!

L
    LRS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Ok. So. Update.
    No going back to neuropsych. It is not approved by insurance. He got to go there to get his diagnosis (aspergers) when he was 3, and got seen once again at 4.5 years old, at which point he was doing so well, she said she didn't need to do more follow up. We cannot take him back.
    ??
    Gosh. Apparently when we got that dx at 3yo, we weren't aware that was it. Done. Period. At that appointment they didn't even do any actual evaluations, just observed him informally and asked us questions.

B
    B
    I think this is what DS's neuropsych was warning me about. He said that if I had taken DS elsewhere he might have been labeled with ASD just based on superficial characteristics and that a lot of places are doing this. They are not diagnosing based on core features of ASD in the DSM. DS has gotten MUCH better over time and he has not had interventions except for speech at school. As for your DS, they should never have given him a diagnosis without doing a thorough evaluation. Ugh. I wouldn't take him back to the same person, take him to a reputable place and start over. We took DS to a major university.

L
    LRS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    You are probably right.
    I'll wait a bit and try again but find someone through his gifted program.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM