Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 213 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    My son is completely miserable in 6th grade math. He skipped 2nd grade but this math is just ridiculously repetitive for him and I agree. I don't think he should have to endure the several hours of exams on this topic. There is no impact on his math average for the class whether he takes the test or not; the results are simply sent to the state.

He is not looking forward to the exams at all...Would anyone here agree that I should let him opt out?

Another reason to opt out, is that I am considering letting him take the Accelerated 7/8 grade Math final assessment test, now. It was brought up by the guidance counselor and principal. He's scheduled to be in this class next year, during his grade 7. However, if he gets a passing score, and shows competency even though he has not yet been taught the material, it might be reason enough to place him in an even higher level math class than that. I don't have math textbooks at home. I have no idea if this is a fair test for him to take. He LEARNS and memorizes things super fast, and retains them. He scores 100s in grade 6 math, but does that mean taking a grade 7/8 math test is a good idea?

Would you let your child opt out of 6th grade state assessment exam?

And do you think taking the 7/8 accelerated exam now, is a good idea, just to see what his level of math comprehension is?

B
    B
    If there is no benefit to your child, I would have him opt out of the 6th grade assessment if you can. You could explain how when he gets bored he tends to do less well. wink

As to taking the 7/8 exam now, I don't see why not. What do you have to lose? If he doesn't, he just takes 7/8th grade math next year. What is 7/8th grade math? Is it a pre-algebra class? There really isn't a lot more to learn in 7/8th grade math. Most math curriculum spirals, so there will be a lot more of what was in 6th grade math. Can you get your hands on the book they use for this 7/8th grade class?

My son is in what is officially the most rigorous math for my district, Algebra in 7th, Geometry 8th, Algebra II in 9th. All students take an exam at the end of 6th to see if they place into pre-algebra or take 7th grade math. Those that pass the first test at a certain level are given a 2nd test to see if they are ready for Algebra.

Val Offline
    There is the possibility that by letting him opt out, you'll teach your son that he doesn't have to do things he doesn't like doing. Not necessarily a good lesson, IMO.

I don't really understand this resistance to the Common Core, especially the math component. I've never seen threads here discussing opting out of other standardized tests, and don't see why this test is different, apart from what I suspect is a fake ground-roots movement against the CC that probably has a lot of unsavory weight behind it at its foundation.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by cee
    He is not looking forward to the exams at all...Would anyone here agree that I should let him opt out?

No, there's no way I'd let my child opt out of a state exam, and especially not just because they weren't looking forward to it. If you let him opt out of this exam for this reason, what are you going to tell him in a few years if he says he doesn't want to take the PSAT because he's not looking forward to it?

FWIW my ds is subject accelerated in math, but he takes the state test at his grade level every year (ie, not at the higher level of course that he's in). I don't think my ds reallly looks forward to any type of state testing, but he's done well on the state test anyway (and doesn't prep for it).

Another reason to opt out, is that I am considering letting him take the Accelerated 7/8 grade Math final assessment test, now.

I think taking the Accelerated 7/8 Math assessment is a great idea - but I don't see how taking it now has anything to do with participating in the state testing. Students in our school district being considered for math acceleration take both tests in 6th grade.

I have no idea if this is a fair test for him to take.

Rather than focus on whether or not this is a "fair" test, my suggestion is to look on your school district website for a specific list of math curriculum in each class, and see if you have a gut feeling re what class your ds is ready for.

Best wishes,

polarbear

N
    N
    I also say no to opting out. My kids are far from PG, but middle kid has twice received perfect scores on both the math and writing portions of the state standardized tests. Most kids consider them easy and boring, but I don't know any kids who opted out. I think it sets a bad precedent and might lead to others opting out, dragging down scores.

As far as the 7th/8th grade test, if accelerated is what it is here, I would say no. 7th and 8th grade means Algebra I and Geometry here, including rigorous proofs. I don't see how any kid would understand the proofs portion if they hadn't been exposed to it. However, if accelerated is just more pre-algebra, I say it couldn't hurt to take the test.

There is the possibility that by letting him opt out, you'll teach your son that he doesn't have to do things he doesn't like doing. Not necessarily a good lesson, IMO.

Agreed 100%

Become what you are
    M
    M
    No opting out here either. Rising above on things like this build grit.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    As far as the 7th/8th grade test, if accelerated is what it is here, I would say no. 7th and 8th grade means Algebra I and Geometry here, including rigorous proofs. I don't see how any kid would understand the proofs portion if they hadn't been exposed to it. However, if accelerated is just more pre-algebra, I say it couldn't hurt to take the test.
    Cee needs to find out what this class covers. But I really doubt a 7/8th accelerated class is one that intends to finish a full Algebra I & Geometry class. Or that the principal would be suggesting a 6th grader take a test to jump over both of these classes.

C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    Cee needs to find out what this class covers. But I really doubt a 7/8th accelerated class is one that intends to finish a full Algebra I & Geometry class. Or that the principal would be suggesting a 6th grader take a test to jump over both of these classes.

Yes, principal is suggesting to take the test to see what his proficiency is before going in. Past several years msth has been slow and he never needs drawn out reviews and worksheets. Principal would not want to see the same thing happen in the 7/8 class. I will ask to come in and see the book. I need him challenged so he stays interested and engaged.

22B Offline
    Opting out is not allowed here, but even if it was, we wouldn't. DS's virtual school lets him accelerate a lot, which is what we want from them.

I have no problem with DS spending a small amount of time taking a boring easy test to help boost the school's scores. Testing is taken at the non-accelerated grade level. (Early grades don't have this testing, so it hasn't happened yet.)

What we would strenuously object to, though, is being forced to spend weeks or more preparing for the boring easy test. (We would leave the school if they wasted too much of our time.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM