Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    B
    I really wish I had a good answer to this question. I would solve 3/4 of my son's problems with school. This was my DS15's biggest problem in school in 6th grade. My son HATES the term "favorite", or who is your Hero? Or other questions that imply a passion for a topic he is uninterested in. In my son's gifted class for homework he had to answer 3 questions like this a week, about a page of writing for each.

What I have tried to do is explain to my son that this is an assignments to improve your writing skills and help you think analytically. I have also explained that sometimes (depends on the teacher) you can answer these questions with humor, or fantasy, or explain why he doesn't like the topic. Half the time teacher only grade on completion for these things. I have tried explaining, over & over to just pick something a topic that you can say something. The teacher is NOT going to care or even know if this subject/item is really something that you love or hate. This has not been an easy lesson and we are still working on it.

As to how I teach my child that all school projects are important? I've required my son to finish assignments even if the teacher would not take them late. (When I know about them.) I have shown him mathematically, how one zero grade affects his overall grades. And as my son in now in H.S. how his grades will affect his future. Honestly, as a freshman in H.S. he still has difficult with this and I would love some better solutions.

Last edited by bluemagic; 04/21/14 11:06 AM.
    C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks for everyone who shared their experiences. Bluemagic, my son doesn't do well with these "favorite" type questions too, when they imply everyone enjoys the topic enough to even have a favorite within it. He tends to have strong opinions about most subjects. Perhaps this is why he can't imagine or pretend he has a favorite to write about, and gets uncomfortable or annoyed when asked to.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by cee
    Thanks for everyone who shared their experiences. Bluemagic, my son doesn't do well with these "favorite" type questions too, when they imply everyone enjoys the topic enough to even have a favorite within it. He tends to have strong opinions about most subjects. Perhaps this is why he can't imagine or pretend he has a favorite to write about, and gets uncomfortable or annoyed when asked to.
    Our boys sound similar. Sorry I can't help you more. Maturity has helped a bit but honestly we are still struggling. One of his biggest problems this year has been all essays in his H.S. are IN CLASS to be written from prompt to end result in 1 hr 20 min. He can't figure out what to say fast enough and never gets to finish the essays. That and he still doesn't complete worksheets completely particularly if the thinks they are boring.

Last edited by bluemagic; 04/22/14 10:07 PM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM