Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    seablue #188865 04/19/14 08:27 AM
    seablue Offline OP
    OP Offline
    polarbear - your response was one that I read aloud to my DH. We agree that DD7 is not a poster child for dysgraphia. However, you have provided exactly what I was hoping for - testing instruments used and methods used to tease out the diagnosis. I would like to print your response and share it with my pediatrician (but I won't - I promise)!

seablue #188869 04/19/14 09:35 AM
    G
    G
    This is all coming from the ped? You need a proper psycho-educational exam from a psychologist.

Stop reading online "is this your child?" lists. A lot of gifted kids compensate so much that many of the markers are not evident. My reading of these things kept us from seeking a diagnosis for my DD by about 2 years.

seablue #188876 04/19/14 10:39 AM
    P
    P
    seablue, I don't mind if you share my post with the ped or the mailman or whoever - just remember, I'm just a parent, not a professional smile

I agree with geofizz though - your ped isn't the professional who can tell you whether or not there is a vision issue (or whatever) from the tests you have - you need a neuropsych eval to tease out what's really going on. If your ped seems reluctant to give you a referral, simply tell him that both you and the teacher are concerned about your dd's reading ability, handwriting ability, and the impact of ADHD. Any one of those reasons alone should be enough to warrant a referral to the neuropsych.

And also agree with geofizz re the online lists describing symptoms of various LDs etc - not all children will have all symptoms, and gifted kids can often compensate in ways that challenges are hidden.

polarbear

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM