Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 165 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    I vote for Etsy for sales.

Not knowing what types of pieces she produces, if she's interested from more of a creative/artistic perspective, maybe she could ask a local gallery to feature her work on display or participate at a local crafter's fair.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    You are right about Etsy - if nothing else, there will be lots of traffic since it is high on google list.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I need to check it out, but an Etsy account may need to go under my name unless they don't verify age or require other info that a child would not have.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    That's the headachy part of her venture although there are miniumums for tax returns.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    The difference with the online business is that she can withdraw items that she no longer wants to create. It is harder in real life because the items she finds boring are on display.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    The local crafter fair may be an option, but again it would require my assistance/time, which is not always convenient.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    The difference with the online business is that she can withdraw items that she no longer wants to create. It is harder in real life because the items she finds boring are on display.

I was thinking more that having changed her mind previously, gotten bored with making the same thing etc - she might still be a bit young for following through with keeping up with a website. She can take things offline, but she has to be sure her site is up-to-date. She'd have to be committed to following through with orders, and what happens if she's got 5 people who ordered the same thing and she gets bored after making #3... things like that. She may also find that there will be customers who will window-shop one week, come back the next week to find their item gone... who will ask her to make it anyway. All things that can be handled - just sounds like it might be a bit larger commitment than it seems up front.

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 04/11/14 02:36 PM.
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Absolutely! I would not be surprised if she gets tired of it, but that too is part of the learning experience. I guess I want to support her by giving her the opportunity to try things. While I do expect that she will be able to sell some items, I really don't expect customers to be beating down her door. She is talented but so are countless other people.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM