Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    cammom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks again. I was looking at the "Well Trained Mind" forum for ideas-seems that the EPGY program is popular on the accelerated learner board. I think we may try it over the summer.
    We're continuing with DS's private school- he could use some math acceleration, but likes the Montessori curriculum. It also makes me comfortable that he is reviewing concepts and filling in gaps. Next year, the grade is transitioning into Singapore math.

1111- my ds7's style for learning new material is to refuse to listen to advance instruction, struggle through, make a mistake, scream and run to his room. Rinse and repeat until he has achieved mastery through the school of trial and error. I sincerely hope it's a maturity thing.

Try AoPS because its central theme appears to be trying to get kids to persist and 'breakthrough' on the problems without answers that are more or less immediately obvious.

A welcome side effect of this approach is much greater facility with mental computations as mental 'probing' of the problem before committing resources to attack its weakest point in the most optimal way is encouraged from the outset based on what I have observed so far watching my DD9 with her pre algebra I class.

My DD scored 168/9 overall on her broad and brief Maths with 194 on calculation skills - fluency was her lowest score at 132 but I am convinced that the pre algebra class has helped this area of relative weakness by leaps and bounds!

Last edited by madeinuk; 04/18/14 10:58 AM.

Become what you are
    C
    cammom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks again. DS is a bit of an outlier--neither my husband or I would describe ourselves as gifted. DS is somewhat different than we are intellectually and in personality- his reactions and interests and abilities are often a source of pride and bewilderment and exasperation.

I want to do the best for him, but so far parenting and education has meant thinking "outside the box" (not my strength).

At this age my DH said he was primarily interested in baseball and Star Wars action figures. I know that I regarded elementary school as a hindrance to exploring outdoors.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM